Need Advice , Rode nt2a or Se 2200a ii Multi-Pattern !

hockees

Hi guys , I have a home studio , my budget is $400 , but I am confuse between the Rode NT2a or sE2200a II Multi-Pattern , both have almost the same specification and same price , and I need to use the mic for vocals and instruments , so as you guys experts , I need your advice , which one is better , any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Gosh! That would be a hard choice to make.

Look for the both of them used on ebay and pick them both up at half price. :thumbs up:

I have the rode nt2a, I love it for vocals, it really does sound awesome so I think you would be very pleased. Have a fish around for a good price and you're laughing. Also the shockmount and dust cover is a very nice addition if you like little things like that too :)

Another NT2a owner here.

I haven't messed with the sE2200a yet so I can't really say anything about it other than on paper it's fairly similar, however the Rode looks to have better stats. I'll admit to being somewhat biased as I've had the Rode for several years and I'm still liking it.

Number crunching:

Rode:
HPF: Bypass, 80Hz, or 40Hz
Pad: -5db, -10db
Max SPL 147db

sE2200
HPF: On of off, doesn't specify freq
Pad: -10db
Max SPL 135db

In the long run the Rode has a few more options, but which will sound the best for YOUR voice is purely subjective and there isn't a stat in the universe to base that off of. You just have to try them out or take the plunge and buy one.

My local Guitar Center does let you demo mics on less busy days, but then again I'm friends with one of the managers so maybe it's just me. If you have one nearby see if they'll let you do a back to back demo. Remeber if you have the cash in hand to buy it on the spot, it will make your sales reps a little more flexible.

I say pick one and run with it.

;) Completely biased plug for the NT2a
Rode NT2-A Large Diaphragm Multi- Pattern Studio Condenser Microphone Review | Full Compass - YouTube

I only have experience with the NT2a, but my first two mics I bought in 2007 were my pair of NT2a's. They were my bread and butter, I used them on everything. Now with a bigger locker and better mics, I relegate the NT2a's to stereo miking...they're still my drum overhead mics but if I ever record piano or acoustic guitar (however rare that is) I'll use them for that.

They are bright, but not shrill, so great LDC's for drum overheads, but could be overbearing on some vocalists.

Thank you guys for the useful info , I appreciated , I think I will go with the NT2a , coz most of you guys as an "expert" prefer the Rode NT2a , thank you again :)

Wait! Wait! Much as I like the NT2A, I LOVE the sE2200A II. You can't tell anything about a mic from the specs but, by listening, the sE has a lovely sound and flatters a much wider range of voices.

Like Seafrog I bought my NT2A quite a few years back and thought it was great...but designs and technology have moved on and the sE2200A's come out of the cupboard far more often than the Rode these days.

...and if you're recording stuff where you need a max SPL of 147dB, you might as well buy a $5 Skype mic because a few seconds at that level will have destroyed your hearing anyway.

Back