Need advice on wall treatment and layout

marshall409

Oh no, another punk kid in his mom's basement.

Basically what I'm working with is the upper basement of a backsplit semi.

I'm extremely fortunate that my neighbours are perfectly fine with the amount of noise I make, so isolation is not an issue.

The space is APPROXIMATELY 20 feet long (front of the house to back) and 18 feet wide. Give or take the nooks and crannies on the wall with the stairs and doorways, its a square.

Floors are bare concrete with some area rugs under the drums and control area. The walls are concrete with these studs...I'm thinking they're 2x2? Maybe not exactly but they're square and about the thickness of studs I'm used to which I know are 2x4. On that (most likely DIY built) frame is some thin flimsy 80s faux panelling. I'm guessing soundwise it's just like having bare concrete walls. The panelling is getting torn off on Tuesday but I'm going to leave the framing up for now.

The huge ugly fake fireplace and the big TV unit you see will be gone tuesday, and I have a small computer desk than I plan on using instead of my current setup, which is sitting on the couch with my computer and speakers set up on a low coffee table.

My mother and I are discussing drywalling the roof, and possibly the walls, but unfortuantely there needs to be a bedroom basement built before she spends money on this area. The other thing is, I may not be here much longer as I could be leaving for school as early as January, so I don't want to talk her into drywalling the roof with resilient channel and stuff in an effort to reduce noise upstairs when I may not be using this space much longer.

My ideas:

1. Building bass traps and broadband absorbers as per Ethan Winer's designs. This is a no brainer.

If the walls and floors are just bare concrete, should I leave them bare and use 703 panels all over the place, OR should I drape the whole room floor to ceiling with a big heavy fabric and then use panels.

Is there any other cheap material I could possibly throw up on the walls that would be a major improvement over the bare concrete?

Also, any tips on the layout of the room would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Adam Marshall

Attachments

• BASEMENT.jpg
    BASEMENT.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 86
The space is APPROXIMATELY 20 feet long (front of the house to back) and 18 feet wide.

That's definitely large enough to get great results.

If the walls and floors are just bare concrete, should I leave them bare and use 703 panels all over the place, OR should I drape the whole room floor to ceiling with a big heavy fabric and then use panels.

No need to cover all surfaces with absorbers. You have a great opportunity with an exposed ceiling. I suggest you stuff all the joists with foot-thick fluffy fiberglass insulation. Then you can leave the floor bare in most or all areas. That's what my partner Doug did as shown in this video:

The Ultimate Home Studio

--Ethan

Wow, a tip from Ethan himself, thanks!

Great link btw, that video helped me sort things out quite a bit.

I'm gonna strip the walls on Tuesday, and talk to my mom about an insulation/fabric roof like you did in that room. That'll be quick and cheap. Will it help at all with sound transmission to the upstairs? I'm thinking not much...Would Roxul Safe and Sound be an improvement or would I really need to drywall over it to get the benefit?

Also, some suggestions on where to set up my mixing area would be a great help...

Should I be facing the wall out to the room or other way around and then treat the wall right behind me?

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks again Ethan.

One last question...any info on building that roof? It looks simple enough but just wondering if you have any links regarding the construction of that room in the video.

Thanks a lot,

Adam

Ethan,

The best studio I ever recorded in was 20' x 20'. It had an acoustic tiled 8' high ceiling, wood paneled walls, and a tiled concrete floor with a BIG round braided rug in the middle. Sun Records would have been jealous. It was a natural room.

Can you tell me why it worked so well? (I've always suspected the stability of the quiet non-reverberating concrete floor had a lot to do with it.)

Thanks,
Rich Smith

20 feet square will have bass problems, but just having the walls farther away helps a lot compared to a 10 by 12 bedroom. And if the ceiling was done right with thick insulation etc that would help too.

--Ethan

Back