Need advice on USB audiointerfaces with 8-16 inputs

Siaip Ciuvas

Hi,

I have just changed my laptop to a new one and my old RME Multiface with PCMCIA is gone (wish I found this forum before selling for peanuts locally). New laptop got i7 quad CPU (which is super nice!) but no firewire and no express card slot, only USB 2.0... I know, I know, but I got it for dirt cheap from demo room... I loved RME zero CPU load thing, but Fireface UC (USB one) is like 1100$ and thats a lot of money.
Main task would be tracking up to 16 inputs (drums + bass mix, maybe sometimes geetar added to it). Ideally I thinkg would be the interface who would have 8 analog inputs and 1 adat in, so that I hook up one preamp to analogs, and another on ADAT, getting 16 mic ins hooked up in total.

The question is - what are the other options apart from RME Fireface UC to do it, but for less $$$? :)

thanks for all knowledge in advance! ;)

as always... you spend time researching the choices, then ask a question and minutes after find more choices :D

What about Tascam US-1641 and US-2000? To me they look pretty much the same - both have like 8 mics in + 6 line in, but with slightly different config. Apart from nicer casing, is US-2000 any better?

Also if anyone uses one of theese under Windows 7 32bit, are the drivers ok?

Thanks!

I originally wanted the Tascam US-1641, couldn't afford and then my mixer went toast. Then, Tascam announced the M-164UF mixer / 16 channel USB 2.0 audio interface. I picked one up for $525 Canadian.($500US) Works great. Very Clean 24 bit audio. Check all the specs to see if this suits your needs. The M-164UF does have on-board FX, but does not have MIDI or SPDIF I/O which isn't a need for me. Has Sub (Stereo & mono) + Stereo Out. Warning: For USB Interface, only channels 1 to 10 are direct <unless I am missing something>, 11-12 is FX, 13-14 is Sub Mix and 15-16 is Stereo Mix, but you can be creative ;)

Check out Video demo for each
M-164UF http://www.tascam.com/products/m-164uf.html
US-1641 http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html

thanks for the info. However mixer is way too bulky for my tiny space and on the other hand I need interface only for tracking, all knob turning will be happening in Cubase anyway :)

The Zoom R16 is getting to be a standard answer for me.
Affordable, portable, functional.
It just seems to suit your needs, in my opinion.

thanks for suggestion, but I see it doesn't offer 16 mics in option in any way? I am kinda sold on Tascams now. I've got Focusrite Octopre LE left from my previous setup, connecting it to 6 Tascam's line ins + 8 integrated mic ins gives me 14 inputs simultaneously, which suits my needs perfectly.

Still can't find any answer whats the real difference between US-2000 and US-1641...

Back