Need advice on song for final product (GreySkyMorning - Kingpin )

Redendever

I used a nice TLspace Reverb plug on the drums and vox, I thought it did some credit but it was the first time I really learned how to use the reverb plug to add to the song. I would like any comments I can get. I'm in the process of giving the final product to the band and would like to make it the best possible.

Link for song:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13770

What I'm using
Pro tools LE 7.4

drums:
I used a maudio Luna as an overhead
57 on snare
d6 on kick mic

Guitar was plugged direct from pedal, and bass was direct out from amp.

recorded Vox with the Maudio luna

If you have any advice? Or even just tell me the mix sounds great, I havn't had a chance to burn and put it in my car yet so this is what I've mixed from the monitors and headphones. Any comments will be appreciated. If you have any mixes you would like me to take a listen to, post, ill be glad to check them out and give you my opinion.

Last edited:
The guitar is way too fizzy - but that comes from pedal into recorder. Did you use a DI box between the pedal & recorder?
The drums seem to lean to the right a little.
The bass could be trimmed of some middle - some mids it seems to smear across the stereo image.
Vox are fine.
Not sure about the reverb.
Not a bad capture.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing. I really try and master at low levels, but i find myself slowly turning everything up before its over with frying my ears, so i take a few hours away from it and go back to it.. I'm gonna go try and mess with the things you said..

I thought the reverb rounded up the drums, I do have the snare panned like 15 to the right to give it a rap around feel. I may need to change that though. I think adding just a little more highs to the snare would help, but not ear peircing highs. I'm trying to figure out how to make the sound (sound) higher but not ear peircing high, if that makes sense.. more crisp with Eq and such with out raising the highs to much.
I'll also drop some Mids out of the bass and as for the guitar pedal, didn't use a DI box because the pedal had DI units on the back so I just selected them, the guitars have been eq'd. I like them to have some kind of high clarity, but I end up missing the bottom end or the guitar's Highs end up at almost a buzzy high.
If you got any tips let me know. I've been working alot with compression and such latley, but i didn't find myself really using any on these recordings. I can hear the slight sound differential when I compress, and I know it kind of evens out the insturments that get loud and quite in parts, it trys to compress them to make them evenly. But I haven't got much into gating, and being that I used the Maudio as an overhead its what is picking up my toms so I dont wnt to try and gate that out of it.. I'm learning.. I know I got a good ear for it, I just need to keep practicing with the plugs and recording methods.

If you have any recording adivce I would appreciate it, and thanks for the reply

What grabbed my attention more than the song itself is that there's clipping galore......1363 samples on the left side and 2993 samples on the right side.

Sorry. I call 'em as I hear and see 'em.

My impression with the drums is that they sound a bit weak. Bass drum could use some more definition, like maybe boosting the highs. But in all, it sounds as if the drummer is playing way far away in the corner of a room...I don't know if that was what you intended. Song isn't bad and I like the voice. Could use some more kick though.

Cheers
Joe

My impression with the drums is that they sound a bit weak. Bass drum could use some more definition, like maybe boosting the highs. But in all, it sounds as if the drummer is playing way far away in the corner of a room...I don't know if that was what you intended. Song isn't bad and I like the voice. Could use some more kick though.

Cheers
Joe
Might be too much reverb on the drums. The snare does sound a bit distant. I'd like some more snap in the snare too - now it's kinda boxy. I'm not sue you can change that with eq as it may already be set based on the snare itself.

I like the way the vocals sound. The guitar is yeah a bit fizzy and one solution is micing the cabinet next time.

Try a reverb across the entire mix so that everything sits in the same room.

:D:):D:)

Back