Need advice on noise gating with mic bleed

incursio

I have 3 vocal tracks (speech only) that I am trying to mix together. The problem is that there is mic bleeding, as the three performers were in the same room together.

In trying to eliminate the mic bleed, I have tried various noise gate plugins (using Vegas Audio), but I can't seem to find a good level that works - it either doesn't cut the noise out, or starts cutting into the signal I actually want to keep. Annoying!

Anyone have any ideas on how best to try and tackle this?

In the future, I can remedy this from the get go, but just trying to salvage these particular tracks. Thanks in advance!

If the problem is that there are places where the voices are at a lower volume but still above the 'noise, you might try automating the track gain before it goes to the gate. Ie match the volume to the threshold.

If the voice doesn't stay somewhat above the noise, this likely wouldn't help much there.
Also look for something milder like expansion' or noise reduction (basically specalized for lower ratio and mild amount of attenuation) so it isn't so either/or like a gate.
The problem is that there is mic bleeding, as the three performers were in the same room together.
Hey! Finally an example of where the 3:1 rule would have actually helped. ;)

Sorry, but you can't achieve seperation after the fact. All you can do is cut out each track's dead space bleed. It would be one thing if the bleed was something dissimilar, but the fact that it's all vocals makes it impossible to do anything but clean up each track's dead space. And that can usually be done better manually than by using a gate.

Personally, the best way to do this is not be trying to get rid of stuff, but figure out how to utilize it. If it is too loud to really utilize it, the side effects of trying to minimize it may be worse than leaving it.

You[re probably going to have to redo the tracks. There's really know way to stop the bleeding, unless you can find a way to incooperate it so it isn't bothersom.

Back