Need Advice on Mixing Punk Rock/Hard Rock Tracks

Back to the drawing board it is..

I've spent a lot of time with electronic music and a lot can be accomplished with a bare sample and a bit of work, but it's not working here.

The music is not the issue, the songs themselves have a good energy & feel, the vocals need to be disregarded as they're more for reference than anything [a bad reference].

My gear is not an issue either, i use basic stuff but it's all quality, the thing that gets me is that it sounds good before i put it all together. On it's own the guitar snarls, the bass is fat and full of presence, the drums... i'm having issues with though [obviously]. I use a combination of a Roland TD-4KX & FL Studio Sequencer to lay my drums down [mainly because i live in a residential area and can't play my proper kit], and no matter what i try they don't sit right which makes me fuck with other sounds and ruin everything. My guitar is a Les Paul Standard with an EHx Big Muff, ProCo Turbo Rat & Boss Metal Zone as distortion through a clean Fender Frontman 212R, My bass is a Yamaha RBX 370 run through a Tech21 Bass Driver DI straight into a Tascam US1641 into Cubase 5 with Waves/OXford/T-Racks. My mics are a combination of Shure SM57, SM58, Rode NT1a & M3 and a Heil PR30. It's basic gear but surely i should be able to get something half decent out of it?

What i notice about some of the music bashed/linked to on this site, the mixes sound tight, but the music itself is bland, i can hear a kick, i can hear a bass, i can differentiate layers, the playing is technically good... BUT it's boring. I'm not ragging on anyones music, moreso saying that with a straight forward set of layers i could mix like some of them too, but what i've got is a lot of everything going on all at once and in a way that's how i want it, but i want it to sit right too. Do i sacrifice something to get it to sit right, or go with what i want and keep battling on [even if it's pointless]?

Regardless, i'm going to record from scratch and post up a barebones straightforward mix with no EQ, no Compression, just the instruments as they sound recorded and look for an opinion here. Maybe what sounds decent to my ears [in it's natural state that is] is just not going to work... who knows.

Thanks for all the criticism, suggestions and advice so far. I sincerely appreciate it, even though i feel like i've aged ten fucking years in two weeks, Ha!

Thanks for all the criticism, suggestions and advice so far. I sincerely appreciate it, even though i feel like i've aged ten fucking years in two weeks, Ha!

There are few here who haven't been there...and done that.;)

Just a very few who come here with lots of experience and giftedness.....who, sometimes, have trouble understanding how to explain or conceive of issues...and their correctives.... that plagued them 20 years before!

The important thing is to not give up...keep going. You are. All good.

Ok - i know you're probably sick of this BUT i have re-recorded a few elements of the song - new drums, bass and guitar. I have got two versions, one with a compressor on the final output channel and one without the compressor. To me they sound pretty similar, a bit different in dynamics but ... i'm not sure.

The volume levels are a bit all over the shop but other than that i think i'm getting a better base sound to work with.

Here are the mixes -

Mix 7 Uncompressed
Mix 7 Compressed

Any advice, criticism or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

That's a helluva lot better than the first version. You haven't done any damage with the compressed version which is good. I can now hear a bass and kick. The drums are a little verby but if that's what you're going for that's cool. The trick now will be to get your vocal sitting nicely with everything else. You might still need to scoop a little out of the mid-upper guitar to reduce the shrillness a little bit and make room for the vocal. Whenever I add vocals after the fact I find it a lot easier if the vocal is high passed and compressed hard. When you've got the vocals in, you might find you still have room for more bass fatness down below. Adding distortion can help the bass stand out better without overpowering everything else. Good job so far, it's coming together

cheers Bulls Hit, the verb on the drums has come out too over the top, it's only applied to the toms [floor, low, mid, high] and it sounded good when i recorded it but once it's in the full mix it's a bit overpowering. also the snare is 3 layers: a main snare and two 'boosts' which will probably be scaled back. Other than that i am STOKED with this so far, it's nowhere near perfect and it needs a lot more work but it's getting there...

After the last lot of comments and listening to everything over and over again i got a bit disheartened with it BUT... i'm back! I'll get this working and get the other 5 songs re-recorded and i'll be happy. Though i'm not sure i'll ever be able to listen to them again, i've heard them 500 times each in 2 - 3 weeks.

When i get this released i will personally thank everyone who offered constructive criticism on this thread as i really needed to go through this process, and i appreciate the advice/guidance/feedback.

Muchos Gracias!

Ok this is going to be one of my last updates of a new mix. I think i've gotten pretty close to where i want to be. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the kick to sit and sound punchy with the bass guitar still remaining "fat", and i need to fine tune the fill guitars. This mix has no vocals.

There are a few "blowouts" in the low end, especially toward the end of the song. I've carved out the 125hz range on the bass to make room for the punch of the kick, and have dropped the 50hz on the kick to give the bass some bottom end but i'm not even sure if this is what i should be doing. :confused: . All i know is the kick's "punch" seems to be around the 125hz range according to the spectrum/EQ analyser.

Here is ths latest mix: MIX20

As always any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated....

Back