Need advice on how I should route my sound with my gear

CDKC

Hi! My main goal is to send my synthesized sounds from my MacBook to my External mixer so then I can modulate the synthesized sounds with some of my external effects since I play guitar. How I was thinking about doing this was to use my audio interface's outputs L/R to go into an input on my zed 14 then to have the master out from the mixer to go to the input of the audio interface to finally be connected to my MacBook through USB. I believe I may run into feedback loop issues. Suggestions? TYVM

I do this and it works pretty well MOST of the time ( I call it karaoke live mode) ... depending on what I use in my DAW I will occasionally run into an echo loop or at worst - a screaming feedback loop (on some amp simulators)... most of the time the mixer/interface/DAW manages to keep it separate... not sure how though.

For me its pretty safe to play backing tracks live off the computer and play along with instruments through the mixer/ and I can even record them... if I do much more than that problems will likely arise.

Attachments

• Mixsetup2small.jpg
    Mixsetup2small.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 20
A better practice is to record the track you want to modulate onto some other kind of player and play it into the mixer independently. Sometimes I have to disconnect part of the loop depending what I need to do because really it is designed to either play OR record, not both simultaneously as you suspected. That being said I am lazy and do it all the time- hope I am not frying preamps or anything like that because I have had a few howlers for sure.

Oh... the main out from your mixer may be too hot for the audio interface input (mine is too hot even for instrument setting- so is AUX out) so you may need to use a REC out or something that is not +4db pro line level.

Back