need advice for a proper hookup

atw23

im trying to construct a space to make my recordings so that i have easy access to experiment with different tracks without having to have my recorder turned on all the time just to monitor and rehearse. i have very limited space, just enough room for a keyboard and my digital recorder on the table and my guitar effects processor on the floor.

should i have a mixer to rehearse through headphones then power up my recorder when i get something good?

i know im not gonna get professional quality this way but im just looking for the easiest way to record medium quality demos.

i have a limited ability to compose songs in my head, so i need to experiment by hearing what ive played and layer tracks to it.

i guess i need a small mixer to rehearse my tracks. so i dont have to have having the whole damn rig hooked up all the time. i dont have too many plug ins for powering all this stuff either. of course ill have to record everthing direct also.

so im asking what ill have to do to record my one man bedroom band, im sure youve all had experiances like this when starting out, so some advice would really help. thanks.

What kind of gear is involved? I would say plug into the mixer and play around through headphones.. but have either a direct out or aux out already pre-mixed so you could just fire up the recorder when you want to capture the stuff on tape.

Back