Need Advice: Best Method of Tempo Correction w/o Pitch Change

Chris Long

HI All
Not sure where to post this, but here goes.
I need to replace a 120 second section of a film soundtrack I am working on. The music is an excerpt of a solo piano piece by Satie. I can't get a copyright clearance on the recording I was using, and the film is cut to it--the editing is finished. Here's what I think I have to do: I'll get a friend to record the piece herself (it's public domain). Unfortunately, she can't quite play it well at the tempo I need.

So, I plan to record her playing it and speed the passage up to fit the already edited film. Problem is, I want to keep it in the same key. I know I can do this a few different ways--but I need advice about how you might do it, or how you think it would come out the best, quality-wise. I know that there can be quality problems when you mess with a file in this way. Fortunately, I don't think I have to speed it up TOO much--just enough to make it fit.

I have Premiere Pro, Sonar 1 and Cool Edit Pro, all of which can do this in some measure, I believe.

Any other/better softwares that are GREAT at this? What approach or application will give me the best quality?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Chris

Last edited:
Will some app like Propellerhead's ReCycle do a better job of altering the tempo and keeping the pitch the same than the other apps I have? Is it a better option?

Back