Need a voicing for G13 Add 9

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
Please help! I need a fingering TAB for the above chord. Somewhere I guess around the 10th Fret. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I have tried my usual Chord directories. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Well, there's really no such thing as a G13add9, because, technically, a 13 chord will already have a 9th in it.

Regardless, this should be what you're looking for. It's a G13, and it has a 9th.

----12----
----10----
----10----
----9-----
----10----
----------

I usualluy think of a 13th as a 7th and a 6th combined. The suspended and 9th notes are quite often considered optional. For a 13add9, clearly the 9th note is desired.

Ed

I disagree - the 9th is always implied, and is not optional. The ONLY time you specify the 9th is when it is altered, as in a G13 b9.

Ed Dixon said:
I usualluy think of a 13th as a 7th and a 6th combined. The suspended and 9th notes are quite often considered optional. For a 13add9, clearly the 9th note is desired.

Ed

fraserhutch said:
I disagree - the 9th is always implied, and is not optional. The ONLY time you specify the 9th is when it is altered, as in a G13 b9.

Well this is somewhat correct. In extended chords, like 9th, 11th, and 13th chords, all the extensions up to that point are always implied.

9th = 1 3 5 7 9

11th = 1 3 5 7 9 11

13th = 1 3 5 7 9 11 13

Now, obviously, all of these notes aren't always played. And the 11th is probably omitted more than it is played (unless it's raised a half step). But the very nature of extended chords is the continued stacking of 3rds, so technically a full 13th chord will always have a 9th and 11th. But the 9th and 11th ARE optional. The 13th and b7th are not optional in a 13th chord, because without either of them, it wouldn't be a 13th chord anymore.

For instance, a common voicing on guitar for A13 might be:

--------
---7----
---6----
---5----
--------
---5----

This is, from low to high: root-b7th-3rd-13th. There's no 9th, but it's still A13 because it has a b7th and a 13th. But if you played this chord:

---7----
---7----
---6----
---5----
--------
---5----

which is, low to high: root-b7th-3rd-13th-9th, it's still just called A13. The only time the 9th is mentioned is a 13th chord name is when, as fraser pointed out, the 9th is altered.

famous beagle said:
Well, there's really no such thing as a G13add9, because, technically, a 13 chord will already have a 9th in it.

Regardless, this should be what you're looking for. It's a G13, and it has a 9th.

----12----
----10----
----10----
----9-----
----10----
----------

Thanks, this is exactly the chord I had in mind. :) Bit of a bugger to finger though :( Maybe I'll either skip the A string or the top E string - or both :o ;) And get the base player to play the root ;)

You have a ton of options, first let's spell the chord.

G, B, D, F, A, C, E

Now, based on the context of the song and what the bass player is playing you have a few different options. Assuming the bass player is playing the tonic (G), we can ommit that note. As mentioned earlier the 11 is also a common ommision. We'll go ahead and leave out the 5th as well as it will be implied as part of the overtone series of the tonic played by the bass. This opens us up to a very nice and easily fingered 1st inversion voicing on the 7th fret fingered as follows:

X
X
9 (E - 13)
7 (A - 9)
8 (F - b7)
7 (B - 3)

For an even more open sound you might throw out the entire route triad leaving you with an enharmonic Fmaj7 chord.

X (Optionally add the D on the 10th fret)
10 (A - 9)
9 (E - 13)
10 (C - 11)
8 (F - b7)
X

However if you want to incorporate as many notes as possible, the 10th fret 2nd inversion fingering might work for you.

12 (E - 13)
12 (B - 3 optionally finger the 10th fret for the 9th)
10 (F - b7)
10 (C - 11)
10 (G - 1)
10 (D - 5)

Have fun.

Last edited:
Back