Need a Rap Reference CD or 2

Rev E

I'm always on the lookout for CDs that have high quality recording and mixing going on to put in my collection as my Mixing Standards. I'm in the market for a rap/hip hop record or two, three. Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple CDs that represent quality in terms of recording, mixing, processing that you think can be classified as "standards" in terms of the mix.

I'm not looking for the best in lyrics or (necessarily) music content. I'm looking for records that I can compare my mixes to. Since rap and hip hop are pretty diverse in terms of sounds perhaps I should break it up into categories of regions:
1. East Coast-type CD
2. West Coast
3. South (since I have rarely heard a record from a down south artist where I respect the mix, I'd be really interested in what you guys think here)
4. Any other categories that you think applies (maybe "Raw" records, "glossy" records, etc.)

What do you think?

For west coast it'll be DR. DRE- Cronic 2001... Even though the cd was a bit lacking on the deep sub bass end the shit overall mix was real nice. I don't know if it was the overall mix components or the reverbs or whatever but that cd just had a real nice west coast garage studio sound to it.

Also DJ Quik's shit... The one with "Safe and Sound"... Has that same feel to me...

Oh and the last (I think) Alkaholiks cd that came out... They had a sound that was very clean and clear which kinda reminds me of the last couple of De La Soul cds.

Dirty south... Gotta use MASTER P- Ghette D or some other No Limit cd. Folks can talk shit about Np Limit but I haven't seen a set uf subs jump out a box like that until No Limit started dropping shit. I still wondering where those mixes cam from. Half the shit that sold under No Limit was because simply because it had that tit, tit, boOMM... Southern rap got have tit, tit, boom....

Just my opinons on what i've heard and felt was really just solid for the style and easy to listen mix wise. I didn't spend me time adjusting the EQing which I find myself doing for a lot of cats shit. Never missed a word and every element was heard through the mix. Yup.....

this doesnt really fit any east coast/west coast area music, but Dj Krush is from japan, he has been producing since 92 about, and DJing since 87. his work is brilliantly mastered, and probably some of the best production around imho. i tend to use his albums as reference alot, there are about 7 out here in the states

peace
LB

IMO

Any Gangstarr LP Should give u some good reference points! Most notably "moment of truth"

Peace,

Kevlar

I agree with LB, DJ Krush has beautifully crafted music. Mix your shit like that and you will have a very very nice sound.

i've got a couple weeks before my new house is ready. then i'll be building a new setup in the bassment.

i'll be online a lot more then, but i'll be in the studio building section for a while.

Re: ...

LiquidBronze said:
which Krush album did you check out? or did you just download some songs?

LB,

I got the Milight CD (1997). Very nice stuff. Tracks 1 and 3 are standouts. Especially track 3 (Shin-Sekai f/ Rino), a shining example of having crushingly phat and low kick drum, present bass with the vocals still present and unobstructed. I also like the production of the track with Mos Def later on the CD. Thanks again.

ah yes Milight is a very good album. i have been following Krushs career for about 9 years now, the guy has developed so much over the years its amazing. his first real US album release is called "Krush" DJ Krush. its mostly acid jazz type of stuff, its brilliant, i would recommend that one for sure, but any of his 8 albums are equally good

peace
LB

Back