Need a rack and rackmount computer case

scottn5388

I want to be able to make my studio a little more portable and though that if I could get everything in a rack it would be a whole lot easier. I wan't to be able to hold my small mixer, a rackmount computer, a power amp...and also have room to put my J-Station somewhere and have some room to store mics and cables. Is there a rack that will allow all this or am I getting too excited?

First off I need a rackmount computer case. Any suggestions? I've got an AMD Athlon 2000+ on an EPoX 8K3AE (i think that's the model) motherboard. (5 PCI Slots, 1 AGP) I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd-drives.

If I did get a rack that could hold all this....would I be able to leave all the cables going from the sound card to the mixer, mixer to power amp, etc. connected? Or would I need to take them all off everytime I pack it up?

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks....I think it will....

I was looking at some of the prices of racks and found them to be quite expensive. Would it be easy to build my own? My dad does woodworking a lot and I'm sure he could give me a few pointers. Would I want to build it 19" wide and screw the racks to the wood or should I get rack rails?

Also....I've never owned a rack before and I'm wondering if each rack unit sits on something or if all the weight is supported by only the screws in front?

Thanks,
Scott

Sure- leave the cables interconnecting equipment sharing a rack connected. Saves time and wear and tear on the jacks.

I don't even put my case in a case; the PC rack case is so heavy duty it just sits somewhere near the monitor.... :)

Though that would be nice protection in the event of a sudden downpour, either en route or at a venue.

>I'm wondering if each rack unit sits on something or if all the weight is supported by only the screws in front?

Just the screws in the front! You can take the load off of them (recommended for heavier/deeper rack items) by strapping (hanging) the rear of the equipment cases to the rack case. Plumbers tape would work, wire- whatever.

Not a great idea to have a power amp sharing a tight rack with the PC because of the heat. Make sure the PC is on the bottom and there is accomodation for removing heat from it and the other components sharing the rack.

Back