Need a new pre-amp! In the price range of $600 what would you get?

gospel25514

Ok guys/gals I am needing a preamp strictly for vocals and have been out of the flow of things for a while. Currently using a Delta Omni-Studio. What Pre would you get stacked with a Heil PR30 mic? I have been considering the Joemeek twin and oneQ but if there's a better pre for vocals out there I would appreciate your thoughts and experience?

A used P1 by safesound. Great clean pre and killer transparent compressor section. Amazing little box.

aaronmcoleman, thanks for the link friend! The isa one looks sweet. Have you had any experience with that pre? I am trying to figure out how I would run that through my Delta 66 setup? The omni studio hooks directly to the 66 card so I am guessing I would go through the "In" which takeS her straight through the card?? Correct? Elton123 where can I find the P1 at from safesound? I searched ebay with nothing there. I would be interested in seeing that rig and learning about it:)

you can go in through the ins on your interface.

i haven't used that focusrite, but I have used the GAP pre-73 and RNP and they're both great. RNP is transparent and lots of good gain and two channels. GAP has some character one channel and cheaper. For $600 I'd probably get 2 GAPs!

you can go in through the ins on your interface.

i haven't used that focusrite, but I have used the GAP pre-73 and RNP and they're both great. RNP is transparent and lots of good gain and two channels. GAP has some character one channel and cheaper. For $600 I'd probably get 2 GAPs!

The GAP is quite awesome! I totally agree. I got mine last week and have been in awe of it :D

For $600 you could get an RNP plus two output transformers to patch in when you felt like saturation.

I've seen a couple of DIY transformer boxes, basically a transformer attached to some power and ins/outs.

What do you have in mind when you mention the two output transformers to patch in? I'd be really curious to either build a couple or buy a couple.

All of the usual suspects have line output transformers; Jensen, Cinemag, Lundahl, Sowter . . . but I'm a fan of the cheaper models from Tamura, Triad, and so forth. If you want saturation, then buy a transformer that saturates easily ;) The group in the first list are designed *not* to saturate, so if you want them to misbehave you have to hit them a lot harder.

Another trick is to feed the transformer with variable series resistance; you will lose LF response and increase distortion as the source impedance increases.

I believe I saw somebody offering a Grace M101 in the Free Ads for Music/Recording equipment section. I would also highly recommend the GAP pre-73.

Back