Need a new mic and some recommendations..

Artikulate

I'm pretty sure this is the right forum to ask this question. Anyway, right now I'm looking for a new mic to record vocals onto my comp. Right now I have a Audio-Technica dynamic microphone. I'm really looking to upgrade to a condenser to get a better quality & this is where the problem is. Can anybody give me some recommendations as to which microphone I should ask for for Christmas? Less than $100 is mandatory. (99.99 is cool though)
I was told these would be sufficient:

(Audio-Technica AT2020 Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270620/

(Nady SCM-960 Studio Condenser Microphone)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/277068/

Also, which type of mixer(preamp) should I get?(any other cables or miscellaneous shit I'll need) And could anybody explain the COMPLETE process of connecting the mic to the mixer, mixer to the comp so that I record into the comp so that I understand this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes you will be needing a preamp to power that microphone.

phantom power - a voltage required by condenser microphones to power their internal preamps so that the signal can travel effectively. (my definition haha)

You will be needing a preamp with phantom power if you plan on getting a condenser microphone. Getting a mixer with decent preamps may be a little expensive so maybe getting a dedicated preamp may be a possibility.

I hope you can get what youre looking for.

Artikulate said:
I'm pretty sure this is the right forum to ask this question. Anyway, right now I'm looking for a new mic to record vocals onto my comp. Right now I have a Audio-Technica dynamic microphone. I'm really looking to upgrade to a condenser to get a better quality & this is where the problem is. Can anybody give me some recommendations as to which microphone I should ask for for Christmas? Less than $100 is mandatory. (99.99 is cool though)
I was told these would be sufficient:

(Audio-Technica AT2020 Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270620/

(Nady SCM-960 Studio Condenser Microphone)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/277068/

The AT2020 seems to be a decent mic from what little I've done with it thus far, but I haven't tried it on vocals. I think it would be decent, but you'd be better off hearing from somebody who has used it for that.

I would be VERY wary of an unknown Nady. Since that's a new model, I doubt anybody knows much about how it will perform. The Nady condensers I've used are decent for drum mics. I don't think I'd put them within fifty feet of a vocalist.

With the possible exception of new Nady models (which are really unknowns), the only Nady mic I'd touch for vocals is the RSM-2 ribbon mic (which comes in quite a bit over your price range). It might be worth considering some of their other ribbons, though; the RSM-1 is available for $130 at MF. That's about as close to $100 as I'd consider going when it comes to buying mics from Nady....

You might also consider the studio projects B1. Depends on your voice. If your voice is fairly dark, B1. If it is naturally bright, you should probably avoid... pretty much any of the LDCs that you can get for $100. You'll hate them. (Well, I don't know about the MXL....) Most of the LDCs in that price range have significant hyping of the high end. For some vocalists, this is very flattering. For others, it sounds downright abrasive. I would strongly suggest finding a place to actually test the mic with your voice before buying one.

Erockrazor said:
You will be needing a preamp with phantom power if you plan on getting a condenser microphone. Getting a mixer with decent preamps may be a little expensive so maybe getting a dedicated preamp may be a possibility.

The Peavey PV8 has much better than decent preamps, IMHO. Four channels for $110. Really hard to beat for the price.

Just my $0.02.

Back