Need a new kit...but which to get?

Whoopysnorp

I am not primarily a drummer (and certainly not good at the drums), but I do enjoy playing them every once in a while, plus I like to have real drum tracks on demos of my songs. For pretty much as long as I have been alive, I've had an old '60s or '70s set of Slingerland shells with a Sonor snare. They are pretty entry-level drums to begin with, plus they haven't necessarily been cared for that well over the years, so things like the bearing edges haven't really held up very well. I've decided I'm tired of fighting the fact that they only sound decent tuned one way and that I want to spend a little money on some nicer drums.

One of my drummer friends pretty much always has one of his kits up for sale, and right now he's got a 6-piece Yamaha Tour Custom shell set on the block. The dimensions are 13, 14, 16, 18, and 24 (not sure of the depths offhand). I'm used to 12, 13, 16 and 20, but big drums definitely have a cool sound. They are in pristine shape, and he is asking for $600, which other drummer friends of mine tell me is a good deal.

However, I work for zZounds.com, and with my employee discount, almost any kit we carry is in my price range. We don't really have anything in the high end, but there are a few kits that look OK to me, like this and this.

I'm trying to decide what's the better value here. Of course, I have the advantage of being able to audition the Yamahas and see what I think. However, not being as knowledgeable about drums as I am about guitar or bass, I'm not sure whether there may have been any significant advances made in drum construction from the '80s to now of which I might want to take advantage.

I already have cymbal/hi-hat stands, and I only am in need of a shell pack, since I have a Supraphonic 402 snare that I like.

Tour Customs are good. I believe they have a Maple shell, possibly mixed with something else. Never heard any complaints about the sound of them.

if you record with them they might sound a bit thin but here you go

paper-drum-set.jpg

I would go for the Mapex. The Meridian line appears to have replaced the Pro M (which were incredible drums for the price!).

Also, mounting 10" & 12" toms will be much easier than trying to mount the yammies 13" & 14" (let alone on a 24" bass drum!). But if you really like the sound of big drums (and play a lot of rock & metal), then by all means try your friends kit out.

The Mapex is a much more versatile kit tho. Learn how to tune, and you could use it for funk, rock, metal, jazz, pop, country etc.

Back