need a mic and a mic-preamp

quarx

Hi, this is what I currently have:

a new PC (P4 3ghz, 512RAM, 160GB...)
Roland Fantom FA-76 (Keyboard)
RME HDSP 9632
UAD-1

Now, I would need a good mic (for vokals) and maybe for recording violin and chello. The second thing I need is a good mic preamp...

I'm thinking about AKG 3000 B (but I've read some bad things about it on this forum), and a RME Quadmic preamp. What do you think? I would like to buy something in that price range... I would appreciate your comments and suggestions!

The Quadmic would be very, very nice. RØDE has a nice tube mic for vocals, the NTK, and for the strings a set of NT5s would be cool.

You've spent a good deal of money on your computer, interface, and UAD effects card. Quality at the front end (mic, preamp) are even more important IMO, and this is where you should/should have spent most of your money. I recommend two channels of excellent preamp (Sytek, John Hardy, Speck), a good LDC (not the C3000) and a good pair of SDC's (Josepheson C42, AT 4041) like apl suggested. The Rode mics apl suggested are reported to be pretty decent, but they are at the low-end of where I would start if you are as serious as your other equipment suggests.

The problem is, I don't have that much money left. So, I'll have to decide between m-audio TAMPA and QuadMic as they are of the same price range. I just don't know which one is better. Concerning microphone; could you please tell me what is a good condenser microphone... maybe a AKG C 4000 B, or Shure... or AT, Behringer... and which model?

quarx said:
The problem is, I don't have that much money left. So, I'll have to decide between m-audio TAMPA and QuadMic as they are of the same price range. I just don't know which one is better. Concerning microphone; could you please tell me what is a good condenser microphone... maybe a AKG C 4000 B, or Shure... or AT, Behringer... and which model?

I'd go with the RME. How does that leave for a mic? The RØDEs are great bang for the buck. Avoid Behringer because people will snicker behind your back.

FWIW, I have a c3000b mic I can sell you. 2 in fact. These mics have served me well over the past few years. $175 + Shiping... perfect condition. PM me if you're interested.

I'd also recommend the Tampa as an excellent mid-range pre.

Please specify exactly how much you are willing/able to spend. The mid-range AT mics are a good place to look (4050). As for pres, you've gotten some good suggestions. If you need 2 channels, look into the RNP. If one will do, look at the Brick, Grace 101, Speck, etc. The Sytek gets great reviews for a 4 channel pre at under $900. I'm not trying to steer you away from the Tampa or the RME, as I have not heard either and I'm sure they will do fine. Get a great mic and a good pre and you'll be set for quite a while.

I'm from EU, so all these preamps can not be bought here (brick, sytek, grace...). I have, let's say 1000 EUR to spend...

Back