need a little help re: effects loops with a behringer 802 mixer and 2 boss dd-20s

crystal_andersn

I think i'm confusing myself the more I read into this, but I'm trying to hook up 2 boss giga delays (dd-20) properly through a behringer 802 mixer's send/receive.

question 1: the tech notes for the mixer state the max output/input levels for the aux is +22dBu. should the output mode for the boss then be set for -20db (as opposed to +4)? the impedance range for the return is 20k(omega) balanced and 10k(omega) unbalanced.

posting in the noob section because i barely know what any of that means^ i understand line level vs instrument level but not necessarily how it pertains to the above items.

question2: the hookups. i run a mono distortion pedal before the 2 DD-20s as well. so its distortion pedal in and out to the first dd-20's mono input. then i run the stereo outputs (A + B) to the stereo inputs (A + B) of the next dd-20. and then only output B (effect) to the aux receive? i have the first dd-20 set up as output mode 1 (stereo output-20db) and the second dd-20 as output mode 2 (a:direct sound / b: effect sound -20db).

am i on the right track? i've had these configured many different ways and while none of them are technically wrong i am trying to get it the most correct.

for the rest of the chain i have the main outs of the mixer going into a yamaha thr10. side question - does it really matter if i'm going from the mixer to the amp through either the headphones (mono 1/4 jack) or the main outs (2 x 1/4 unbalanced jacks) or the cd/tape output (rca jacks)? i usually throw an h4n somewhere on one of those as well so i can record the feed before it hits the amp.

thanks for reading and in advance for your help.

the reason why i have the 2nd DD-20's output only on B (effect) is because the manual told me to. on page 7. connecting to an mtr or mixer. mono send/mono return. this is what is confusing me because my setup is a combination between the 3 examples shown on those pages. anybody familiar with the dd-20's i am referencing pages 6 & 7 in the manual. as well as page 30.

thanks - this seems to be working the best as well. both dd-20s are also running in output mode 2 (-20 a: direct b: effect).

my main goal was to have total control of the wet effect through the fx send/receive knobs on the mixer. that way each channel input on the mixer can have its own independent wet effect knob. the dry input of each channel retains full control as well as only the dd-20s effects are going through the fx loop.

kind of like a method to get WAY more headroom out of the "feedback" (effect volume) knob on the gigas, especially when working with lots of loops

right? :headscratch:

Last edited:
been monkeying around some more - am now running a full stereo connection into the stereo fx of the mixer at +4 output mode. my initial thought was to run only the wet signal thru the fx loop but with a stereo pedal i'm getting better control running both wet and dry into the fx loop.

i keep googling but this thread keeps popping up.

i've tried that setup before and while it works great for a single instrument i'm running these effects through the fx loop of the mixer. that way each channel is dedicated and can have EQ set for different instruments (guitar, bass, keyboard, tape/cd in for example are my 4 channels) and be able to control as much wet or dry signal as needed.

during this little process i read up a lot about impedance and line level vs instrument level and i think that is the essence of what i was trying to get straight here.

"during this little process i read up a lot about impedance and line level vs instrument level and i think that is the essence of what i was trying to get straight here."
Well forget about "impedance"! Most of what is written is bllx anyway. What matters is level. Get it wrong one way, distortion. Wrong the other, noise.

But you have found a deeper truth. You can connect audio systems in almost any configuration you like and they won't break. The exception to this is power amp outputs. Don't fk with PA outs, especially the big mothers, things can get burned, even you!

Dave.

Back