Need a guitar recommendation..

maqic

Ok, so basically, I need the best acoustic guitar that $300 dollars can buy. Period..

I know there is a threshold because of this budget, but I really want a guitar that I am not afraid to "beat up" on trips and camps and stuff. I've had a really nice 700 dollar guitar rig but it was just too nice. I find myself not taking it place and not playing it a lot because I didn't want to damage it.

So, yes, the budget is ~300.

Or.. can anyone offer brands that are generally better at the lower end of the spectrum?

I am comtemplating the Takamine G340SC . .

Thank ahead of time for your time..

Go Canadian...and learn to set them up yourself. A lot of the Canadian stuff from LaPatrie is designed for Paul Bunyan's finger strength, but can be made to be playable for normal humans with a little adjustment, and the tone is consistantly good, at least imo. Hope this is of use to you.

Get out and visit a lot of guitars . . .

At that pay point the QC level of manufacture is just all over the place. Two guitars coming off an assembly line one after the other can and will vary hugely.

The good news is . . . that even at that cost . . . sometimes they screw up and really get one right. There are definitely diamonds out there cheap -- but you gotta get out, find them, pick them up, play them, compare them . . .

Having said that . . . the Takamines are usually pretty good in that range. You can find good Garrisons (Canadian) for that, too.

Got any pawn shops near where you live? For $300 (probably less) you should be able to find a decent used acoustic. Since you said you want it to take on trips and camping and such where it wll likely get beat up, if it already has a few scratches and dings it shouldn't matter. A few dings will greatly diminish the resale value of even a quality guitar so you might luck up and find a real gem for a fraction of it's original cost. Look used guitars over carefully. Check for fret wear, neck twisting, cracks and glue seperation, and look across the front of the body (flat way) for warping. You already know what you want, why you want it, and what you can afford to pay for it. I gave you some tips on what to look for. Now go out and play a bunch of them and get the one that suits you most.

See if you can find a used MIJ Yamaha FG-180. It'll have a red label that reads NIPPON GAKKI. You're in a world where a laminated top is an asset. Those old Yammies sound terrific. Very dependable quality control. Tough as nails. I got one for a friend just recently for $225 with softshell case off e-bay. JMHO

lumbago said:
Check out www.fenderforum.com

Use the search feature and you'll find your answer.
Thats the last place I'd go for an acoustic guitar recommendation. ;)

Joking aside, you've already had your question answered. In your price range and what you want to use the instrument for you need to get out and do some leg work. You can definitely find a decent instrument instrument especially as you have a clear idea of what you need and why. It's out there go find it :D

Wow, thanks for all the good replies guys... It all makes sense.

Thanks a lot and I will report back to you with my findings..

maqic said:
Hi, I just wanted to give everyone an update.. I got a good deal on a Takamine EG-360SC.. I am pretty excited about it.. It should be here by Monday..

Anyone had any personal experiences with this guitar?

Edit for link: http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1981&sid=524
my experiance with takamine i have never been dissappointed, i have not had this model but i have owned and or played a good selection of thier models from low to high end, they are nice guitars

Back