Need a feedback

Sounded pretty nice.

I'm noticing in the intro that the vocal gets covered here and there. I'd compress the vocal harder in the intro - or do a fader ride.

I'm not a fan of the huge reverbs used here. Just a personal taste thing.

In general it was good.

Good: I like the atmospheric pads, and the guitar effects work well with the overall ambience. Slightly 80's feeling, which works for the track. When the bassist is locked in performance-wise, it locks in quite well with the kick. Vocal harmonies are good.

Bad: The Drums! The sampled "trying-to-feel-real-but-clearly-aren't" drums don't fit at all. Right now they're just incohesive and panned in a somewhat annoying/confusing way, particularly the crashes. I'd almost say you should embrace the fakeness and make them slightly more electronic sounding, or replace them with either real drums (this'd take maybe an hour total in the studio with a remotely competent drummer: the parts are dead-simple, and repeat). Really though, the rest of the instrumentation really seems to call for straight up electronic drums, I think. Aside from the drums, there's a distracting click in the intro guitar (pick noise?). I could also go for a little more vocal compression, and I'd center them as well.

I feel like the material is there. What control do you have over the drum samples?

Sounded pretty nice.

I'm noticing in the intro that the vocal gets covered here and there. I'd compress the vocal harder in the intro - or do a fader ride.

I'm not a fan of the huge reverbs used here. Just a personal taste thing.

In general it was good.

Thank you MMM!
I was asked for huge reverb on this one but it seams like I overdid it.
I'll keep it in mind on next revision!
sikter

Good: I like the atmospheric pads, and the guitar effects work well with the overall ambience. Slightly 80's feeling, which works for the track. When the bassist is locked in performance-wise, it locks in quite well with the kick. Vocal harmonies are good.

Bad: The Drums! The sampled "trying-to-feel-real-but-clearly-aren't" drums don't fit at all. Right now they're just incohesive and panned in a somewhat annoying/confusing way, particularly the crashes. I'd almost say you should embrace the fakeness and make them slightly more electronic sounding, or replace them with either real drums (this'd take maybe an hour total in the studio with a remotely competent drummer: the parts are dead-simple, and repeat). Really though, the rest of the instrumentation really seems to call for straight up electronic drums, I think. Aside from the drums, there's a distracting click in the intro guitar (pick noise?). I could also go for a little more vocal compression, and I'd center them as well.

I feel like the material is there. What control do you have over the drum samples?
Hello Steve!
It was one very good feedback and I was just waiting for someone to start about the drum track issue.
First, we are aware about that clean guitar track. We'll retrack it. (you have heard my edited version of that track, you should heard original take, ouuuh that sound was higher than the guitar itself. That was not pick noise but earthing problems with guitar/amp combination)
Now the drums:
I recorded my drummer playing on digital drum kit. Now I got that midi track and full control over it, or that was what I thought.
Now it's time to start over i guess. Still, I would like them to sound as they were acoustic. We use always acoustic drum kit live and that's the way we would like to sound on our demo.

Is there anybody out there who would like to borrow my midi drum track and do something with it?
sikter

Is there anybody out there who would like to borrow my midi drum track and do something with it?
sikter

I think your best bet if you want to get something marginally realistic out of the midi tracks you have, would be to find someone with EZDrummer or the like.

Hello Sikter - long time no noise!!!
Terrific playing on your part. I don't mind the big reverb on solos - part of the territory really.
Good song, I have no comment re the drums because you have people like Greg to offer real thoughts.
The song has a big sound - & sounds good!

Hi Sikter, I appreciate Steve's input there, but I'd have to disagree according to my own tastes. I loved the drums. I don't think in terms of whether something sounds fake or real, only that it sounds and creates a desired effect and these are good and clearly suit the track. The only thing that lets them down a bit is the crashes which are a little strange to me panned left/right. I'd probably try a different cymbal or possibly place then centre and back in the mix. It shouldn't be that noticeable as to where the crashes are heard either. Love the vocals too and the fact that they are in what language? hehe Have you got the lyrics in English? I'll be listening to this song again. Well done I loved it :)

Pretty bloody good. Does that swirling synth actually add anything? God it's nice when the drums start (1 min) and it goes away. I know I'm drunk because I loved the lead, which would be better more toward the end, but is nice. It would also be good if the vocal went up a notch toward the end... but instead the windy synth returns...

Hello Sikter - long time no noise!!!
Terrific playing on your part. I don't mind the big reverb on solos - part of the territory really.
Good song, I have no comment re the drums because you have people like Greg to offer real thoughts.
The song has a big sound - & sounds good!

Hello RayC !
I know, I know. It’s been long time.
I wrote and recorded several songs in the meantime but did not have time to finish them.
As you know I’ve been producing some music videos and played live a lot. With two little girls in the house (and the wife) there is really not much time left for creative work.
This song would be kind a demo for my gig band. We usually play covers but my goal is to have a CD with our own material as well.
Best regards
sikter

Pretty bloody good. Does that swirling synth actually add anything? God it's nice when the drums start (1 min) and it goes away. I know I'm drunk because I loved the lead, which would be better more toward the end, but is nice. It would also be good if the vocal went up a notch toward the end... but instead the windy synth returns...

Thank you very much!
I'll see what can you do about that lead.
sikter

Hi Sikter, I appreciate Steve's input there, but I'd have to disagree according to my own tastes. I loved the drums. I don't think in terms of whether something sounds fake or real, only that it sounds and creates a desired effect and these are good and clearly suit the track. The only thing that lets them down a bit is the crashes which are a little strange to me panned left/right. I'd probably try a different cymbal or possibly place then centre and back in the mix. It shouldn't be that noticeable as to where the crashes are heard either. Love the vocals too and the fact that they are in what language? hehe Have you got the lyrics in English? I'll be listening to this song again. Well done I loved it :)

Hey Carla.
You're too kind to me but thank you for your words.
The lyrics are in Norwegian this time.
I liked Steve's comment. It was really helpful. It's too bad I can't have a time to remix drums right now. My little angel is asleep in my "studio"
I was watching your YouTube channel today when I was at my work place. Did not make any comments yet, it was too much stress at work. Wanted to say that you are talentfull and wish you good luck.
Here is my Youtube channel if you are curious:
YouTube - Chaîne de ThePOLARCIRCLE
sikter

Yes - EZ Drummer has some great tones for drums.
Hello ido1957
I'm glad you're still here. I am following everything from the shadow.
EZ Drummer is great. I use Addictive Drums. It's another great software.
The ting is that I need to sit down and use it properly.
I was spoiled by my friend Nico who was sending me finished drum tracks for my songs.
This song belongs to real band where I play guitar and it was pretty obvious that I had to use our own drummer.
We got clumzy when we used digital drum kit for the first time.

Keep up you excellent work Ido

best regards
sikter

Enjoyed the song. Nice guitar tones on the solos! The crashes that are hard panned left and right...and follow each other left right left right left right are a bit strange....

Back