neaumann tlm-103

alevy

my mid frequencies are super high or all of my other frequencies are low im not sure. i have it plugged into a presonus eureka mic pre amp and that is plugged into and echo mia sound card. any suggestions as to what my problem may be( i dont have any fx's on it by the way.)

alevy said:
any suggestions as to what my problem may be
The first one is asking questions that are impossible to diagnose over the interent with the information given. You have not told us what ijstrument you are recording, how you are recording it (how do you have the mic set up), what the supprounding room is like, what your listening to the recording through, or even just what the problem is (you dont even know if you have too many mids or not enough others.) Nor can anybody even hear what it is you're talking about. What kind of answer do you expect?

G.

thanks for the advice bluebear.o im sorry there wasn't any well i guess thanks for the criticism do you really hate me?lol. everything i have ever posted it seems you feel that it's your duty to leave a sarcastic comment. noone's perfect if everyone was the bbs forum wouldn't exist.

im going to post the acapella on the link in my signature. i'm recording with tlm-103 mic,presonus eureka, into a echo mia soundcard on a dell computer. the song is going to be "acapella"

I have a TLM-103. If you look at the spectrum analysis in the manual you will see that this mic by nature has a pronounced high end. Audio buffs call this "Tizz", which is typical of condenser mics. This makes this mic good for recording things like hand claps, acoustic guitar, ADR on movies, and some voices (a matter of taste). I like this mic a hell of a lot better than any dynamic mic. Dynamics sound comparatively "dull". Keep in mind that you need vocals to cut through the mix of instruments. Get a little closer and utilize the proximity effect if you want more bass to that mic.

Last edited:
my mic doesn't do that i think it may be my pre amp i have a bump in the mids than its all down hill from there

You also need to learn how to read a spectrum analyzer and interpret it. If your high frequencies on a spectrum analyzer are metering at the same level as your low frequencies than listeners would howl in pain and wonder why their tweeters just started blaring.

alevy said:
thanks for the advice bluebear.o im sorry there wasn't any well i guess thanks for the criticism do you really hate me?lol. everything i have ever posted it seems you feel that it's your duty to leave a sarcastic comment. noone's perfect if everyone was the bbs forum wouldn't exist.
Hmmm... perhaps you didn't notice the :D icon............... lighten-up, dude!!! Dem's jes' jokes!!! :p

Blade_Jones said:
Uhh, nope. To be perfectly accurate the TLM-103 is a CONDENSER mic with a cardioid polar pattern
As opposed to a DYNAMIC mic with a cardioid polar pattern, which is what you were most likely talking about.

You don't know who Harvey is, do you?

Farview said:
As opposed to a DYNAMIC mic with a cardioid polar pattern, which is what you were most likely talking about.

You don't know who Harvey is, do you?
Apparently not, lol

Blade_Jones said:
Uhh, nope. To be perfectly accurate the TLM-103 is a CONDENSER mic with a cardioid polar pattern
Yeah, ya got me there, but alevy's statement sorta lumped all mics by polar pattern, then he added that he didn't like "cardioid mics" as a class.

Saying that a TLM103 is a cardiod mic is not inaccurate at all. It just may not contain as much information as mentioning that it is a condenser mic.

But I guess in the spirit of this thread and recognizing the importance of being completely accurate, the new statement may want to read....

The Neumann TLM-103 is a Large Diaphragm Cardiod Condenser microphone.

Of course if someone wants to look all the info up and revise this statement with information about its circuity (transformerless) and its bias etc... they can certainly do so. But I don't have time for that, typing this post already wasted 2 minutes of my life:D

When you don't know your equipment,
Don't know your history,
Don't know recording technique,
Don't know mic technique, what do you expect?

You say your vocals are a little thin sounding, You don't say.

Back