nearfields + subwoofer?

spoonie g

Do you think this is a wise idea for mixing? I have met a few engineers that do this, but wonder if it will give leave you with bass-weak mixes? I was pondering trying it myself, as bass management is my weakest area in mixing. I use event 20/20 bas, but find the bass response a bit nebulous at times.

It's fine as long as you integrate the sub into the system. I use a TME test CD and a Radio Shack SPL meter. Its REAL easy to set up the sub so you've got "slammin'" bass: every time I've checked one out that was set up by "ear" it turned out to be 'way louder than it needed to be for flat response. But if you go to the trouble to set it up, it'll give you more bass extension without fooling you into making your mixes bass-shy.

yeah, I think I might try it. I have a cambridge soundworks sub that is just collecting dust and I think I'll give it a shot. And I still havent gotten a spl meter. :(

pink noise and an RTA, but the SPL is better than nothing ;)

The SPL will only give you the level of the overall sound. The RTA will allow you to see and then adjust the levels of individual frequecies to flatten your responce.

Back