Near field Vs... The other kind

jimfrusciante

Hi

I'm just getting my stuff together, I've battled the problems of Headphones or Monitors, and seem to have accepted that its monitors only for mixing.

My place is fairly small (comparativley) But I still get the impression I want to be looking at far field monitors, even though I can apreciate the need for near monitoring.

I don't know whether I want powered, amps, combinations of the two, or what kind of makes to look for. I don't have unlimited budget and I don't want to get ripped off, but it would be nice to know whats best???

Its funny, this whole section seems to be thin in the literature I've got.

BTW I'm using 1" open reel, and "older" standards, just in case the nuiances pose different options.

Any help much apreciated

Cheers

Jim

jimfrusciante said:
My place is fairly small (comparativley) But I still get the impression I want to be looking at far field monitors, even though I can apreciate the need for near monitoring.

I'm not sure why you say that. A very large majority of home studios, and many pro, use near fields. Good farfields are just out of reach of home studios

Ns 10m

Hi again,

ok fair enough, its just sound controls hard sell that puts me off, but budget favors it right now.

Whats a good model to look for second hand (is it worth buying new?) To get best value and ultimatley something thats going to improve my mixing ability?

I hear that NS 10Ms are not at all what they're cracked up to be, although out of what I know to look for, they seem to be all thats available in my price range.

Cheers

Jim

Btw

I don't know if this is standard but it seems it has to be powered monitors for my set up, or equivalent amping.

Jim

jimfrusciante said:
Hi again,

ok fair enough, its just sound controls hard sell that puts me off, but budget favors it right now.

Whats a good model to look for second hand (is it worth buying new?) To get best value and ultimatley something thats going to improve my mixing ability?

I hear that NS 10Ms are not at all what they're cracked up to be, although out of what I know to look for, they seem to be all thats available in my price range.

Cheers

Jim
They haven't made NS-10s in a couple years. They suck. There are dozens of near field monitors for less money than you will pay a used set of ns-10s.
m-audio
warfdale
event
etc...
keep looking, try searching this forum.

NS10s are good to have only as second monitors to check your midrange. Don't use them as your primaries.

Unless you have proper acoustics, and a large enough room, far fields would most likely not be the best choice. Even in studios where they have far fields, most of the work is still done on nearfields.

standing waves

Hi,
What do you make of the Fostex NF-1As? (and model above?)

Its never occured to me before, but since I just learnt that earphones are basically 2 little rooms on your ears as regards the "isolating the perfect audio" myth. therefore...
- Why DO they make speakers rectangular?
What stops standing waves from occurring inside speaker cabinets? and no matter how slight that effect may be, why aren't they made in convex or oval houses?

hmmmm, *click click click* new programming....

:eek:

Jim

jimfrusciante said:
- Why DO they make speakers rectangular?
What stops standing waves from occurring inside speaker cabinets? and no matter how slight that effect may be, why aren't they made in convex or oval houses?

It's efficient to make boxes. There's lots of absorption material stuffed inside the box to prevent bad things from happening.

Back