Near Field Monitors

Dire Wolf

I am currently using home stereo speakers to monitor my recorded music. Since I have nothing to compare them to, they sound okay to me. Can someone explain how near field monitors are different/better for this purpose? Do you recommend using home audio speakers to check sound since this is how the audience will listen to it? If so, how do I interface the near field monitors with the home stereo speakers? Thanks! DW

Moniters are ideal because they are completely flat. The speakers you have may, for instance, really enhance the low end. Because of this, you are satisfied with the low end of your recording on your speakers...but then you go and play it in your car. These speakers do not enhance the low end as your home speakers did, and your low end is now incredibly week, so you gotta go back and compensate for it, or use the guess and check methode. Moniters elimate that problem (for the most part), so that your music heard through the moniters is more true to its real sound, BUT I still think its a good idea to play back your final mixes on speakers as well now and then just to be safe.

I completely agree with the above, but in the mean time it might help if you establish a listening point. listen to other speakers and establish a point on your own that is as close to flat as possible...If your bass is a little too heavy, turn it down a bit...likewise with the rest of the frequency range if you have that option.....I would say that as long as you do your work on the speakers you know; you begin to develop a feel for them...Wait till you make some coin and then invest...

respect,
chozen

Back