"Nashville Tuning"

Ladnar

Hi,
I read a post on another thread about a guitarist tuning his guitar using "Nashville tuning".
Can someone tell me what that is? Is it using smaller gauge strings on the bottom strings?

Thanks,
Randal

Hi,
I read a post on another thread about a guitarist tuning his guitar using "Nashville tuning".
Can someone tell me what that is? Is it using smaller gauge strings on the bottom strings?

Thanks,
Randal
Take the octave strings from a 12 string set and put them on a 6 string acoustic.Tune it up.yer done.

Take the octave strings from a 12 string set and put them on a 6 string acoustic.Tune it up.yer done.

you'll probably want to keep the B and high E of the regular set of strings on it and only re-string the other 4 with the octave set....

Or if you've got a 12 string, take off the standard low E, A, D and G leaving their high octave counterparts as well as leaving the B and top E pairs intact.

:cool:

you'll probably want to keep the B and high E of the regular set of strings on it and only re-string the other 4 with the octave set....
the B and E strings from the octave set are "regular size" (ie: they're not an octave up). the thinnest string in the octave set is the G string.

i've got an old cheap yamaha i keep strung in Nashville tuning. it's a great texture to add. i use it a lot more than i thought i would.

cheers,
wade

Or if you've got a 12 string, take off the standard low E, A, D and G leaving their high octave counterparts as well as leaving the B and top E pairs intact.

:cool:

This would be the best solution since the regular slots in the nut (low E, A & D especially) will be way too big for the unwound strings on a 6 string guitar. Otherwise it may call for a new nut cut to the proper slots......
Anyone out there have an easy solution to the problem with the nut??

the B and E strings from the octave set are "regular size" (ie: they're not an octave up). the thinnest string in the octave set is the G string.

True, but that wasn't the point Gidge was making...

If you check the D'Addario string specs you'll find that a set of "light" 12 strings has a 10 for a high E, whereas the equivalent "light" 6 string set has a 12 for a high E... which was the point Gidge was making, I think...

I make my own set for Nashville tuning by buying individual strings, using a high E of 12 etc... and I think I use a 10 on the G, rather than a 9... but it's been awhile... :eek:

Cheers

Back