Nasal vox recording remedies?

MG Eddie

I sing and play the guitar at the same time when recording because this is how the songs are performed. Because I'm playing and singing at the same time its more difficult to raise my soft palate to get rid of the nasal sound(I normally sing with my soft palate raised when i'm not playing guitar). If I sing without playing then the nasal sound isn't an issue. The only reason I don't want to overdub the vox is because its really hard to sing without playing the guitar with it. Does anyone know of any way to get rid of nasally sounding vox recordings?

Basically...learn to sing more from the gut.
Not sure why playing the guitar makes you sing nasally, but without it you sing fine...?

Yeah exactly without it I sing fine. I think allot of it has to do with that I'm a trained vocalist and when I play guitar I tend to be more focused on playing the guitar then I am the way I sing.

Yeah exactly without it I sing fine. I think allot of it has to do with that I'm a trained vocalist and when I play guitar I tend to be more focused on playing the guitar then I am the way I sing.

So, what happens to your training when you play guitar? Sounds like you are aware of what you are doing wrong? Seems you may just need to rehearse your instruments together.

Yeah...if you are a trained singer, playing a guitar shouldn't make you stray from that, unless you still have think about how you are singing (how you are trained to sing)...in which case maybe you just need to relearn/retrain while playing the guitar.

Well...you could always track the guitar first, send it back through headphones, and then just hold the guitar without actually hitting the strings, that way your going through the motions of playing, but since your actually NOT playing, you can focus more on the vocals...

I win! :P

Well...you could always track the guitar first, send it back through headphones, and then just hold the guitar without actually hitting the strings, that way your going through the motions of playing, but since your actually NOT playing, you can focus more on the vocals...

I win! :P
That was so ridiculous.......that it's actually a great suggestion !

I sing better in the shower, but the acoustics suck. I'm gonna just get naked and have the wifey go at me with a squirt gun in the studio. LOL!

Actually, all puns aside, that crazy idea may just work for now. Maybe mute the strings with a towel so that you can actually somewhat play the part without picking up too much of it. Or get some of that nasal spray that is advertised because of the post title. lol!

By the way eddie, I noticed your profile is misdirected. It should be fixed soon.

As for my training I'm not a natural singer(just like Bowie!) meaning prior to lessons I couldn't even match pitch so when I sing I rely heavily on raising my soft palate or an audience that can't hear my nasality. Even though I hear my nasality on the recordings my band mates still think my voice sounds great. This is partly me wanting to fix my own insecurities. Thats a good idea capt hair. Also I don't know who to email about my profile being misdirected, because I didn't know I was banned!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIOxpozICl8
I apologize for the poor quality, this is what happens when you don't check the levels prior to recording. Polishing a turd!lol

Don't worry about it. You aren't banned. It is just a result of an alias (close to your username) that was banned. It will be straightened out.

It appears that I found a solution to my own problem. I lower the mid(1khz) to about 6db and I was able to get rid of the nasally sound.

First of all, I think you should keep doing what you are doing.
There is so much more soul when everything is recorded at the same time.

You should check this video. The same problem occurs. The guitar player has a nasal sound because he is bunched over. It looks like it is fixable with EQs:
Gearfest 2011: Mixing 2/4 Vocal - PUREMIX

Back