NAS (not the rapper) drive

crosstudio

Network attached storage.

Anyone using it to archive your tracks?

I was thinking about getting a relatively small NAS drive and shuffling all of the non-sonar stuff onto it. Then i saw the price of the NAS and started thinking i could put finished tracks there too (i would still continue to make CD-RW backups).

anyone flying sonar tracks in from a NAS on a home wireless network?

In your cases, what's the point? Data access across a network will always be an order or two of magnitude slower than local storage. You're much better off with sata or firewire drives, I think.

Realistically the only advantage I see is should you have so much data that it needs to be distributed across a network.

My $0.02.

my problem is that my laptop has a 70gb hd. with all of my apps:

sonar/sekd/autotune, websphere app server and mq, macromedia suite, adobe cs2, visual .net, php/mysql, etc...

on my laptop, half of my drive space is gone. rather than keep all of my audio and dev projects on the drive, i'll just keep the stuff i'm currently working on and let the rest sit on the NAS.

i bought a Cintre ethernet enabled enclosure with a Maxtor 7200rpm 300gb HD.

the Maxtor brand NAS was $300, the Cintre is $200 for the same amount of HD space.

we'll see if this turns out to actually be a bargain. its on order from supergooddeal.com

Back