Narrowed it down to 3 guitars..

Live use or just recording? I ask because for live use, its netter to have separate volume and tone pots for each pickup, so when you switch pickups mid-song (like for a lead part) you don't have to also adjust controls. So #1 for live, #2 for looks!
To me, a two pickup guitar without separate tone and volume controls just screams the company its too cheap to include them. The bass player didn't show one night. Two guitar players in the band. I had a Gibson 335 and was the lead player. I set one pickup to the base side and played bass on it and when a solo came up, switched over. I don't believe it would have been that easy without those volume and tone controls.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out why my instruments are so awesome...Cause I set them up for bridge stability. I can single finger bend and the rest stays in tune as I harmonize notes.

technical surprise
20230724_084648.jpg
Fat Five switching done on a superswitch...My super human mind!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
20230724_094327.jpg
tremsetter
or
evertune

What's that middle thing - a shock absorber?
Yup. Must be done if you bend a single string...on FloyddRose or Strat type fulcrum trem..

watch and understand 'other strings go flat'

I suppose you could lock it out with all 5 springs. That has its benefits.
Floydd's bridge must be floated. STD setup stuff.

You use anything with the Evertune Bridge?

Last edited:
Shouldn't guitars come like this already? I have no need to buy any instrument if it cannot outperform what I already can do. Boom. Narrowed down to nothing.

No longer are my guitars mere instruments.

They are magic items. And, in the hands of the Holy we are owed.
20230724_202243.jpg

Floydd's bridge must be floated. STD setup stuff.

Not alway true. Plenty of guys have it set up non floating.

Of course you don’t have the option of pulling notes and chords sharp, but not everyone needs or wants that.

Some are happy with just dropping the pitch and having it come back in tune.

I play guitar.

It is much better to gain the performance. Than throw it away.. Anything worth doing is worth doing it right.

With a guitar you can beat them all. I did. The day was ours they could not take it!

Last edited:
I play guitar.

It is much better to gain the performance. Than through it away.. Anything worth doing is worth doing it right.

With a guitar you can beat them all. I did. The day was ours they could not take it!
Well with your decision, you have not only saved some money, but it seems you’ve gained a newfound appreciation for what you already have.
And that’s a good thing.

Sold the ADA MP-1. Added one of these Custom Audio's OD's by Suhr/Bradshaw to my stable of guitar rigs.
utifqi3jkvibgdhhmr0p.jpg
OD-100 STD

place this in its mono FX Loop. 80's in spades
Screenshot 2024-03-29 201542.jpg

Last edited:
Decide between 3 more. Only one..

Thinking about this RitchieBlackmore MIM Stratocaster. Progressively Scalloped after the 12th frett. Nothing but the rails..Incredible neck!
Screenshot 2024-03-29 121517.jpg

or the PRS SE Santana 2018+ Made in Indo with a shorter 24.5 scale 24 fret deck. So easy to play. No big stretches. All Mahog. Santana pickups rule!
Screenshot 2024-03-29 121901.jpg
..like a goldfish cracker

Last a Reverend Signature Sustainiac model. Comfortable playing. Uninspiring 2 pin bridge. Made in Indo.
Screenshot 2024-03-29 124110.jpg
stunning..new..exciting.

Last edited:
Anyone else think it's weird that Reverend guitars are overpriced to $1,700+ and still only an import from Indonesia? If it was made in Michigan, I'd be all over it, but..

Anyone else think it's weird that Reverend guitars are overpriced to $1,700+ and still only an import from Indonesia? If it was made in Michigan, I'd be all over it, but..
I look at it this way. When Japan started making guitars, they were seen as cheap, much like a lot of their products at the time, inferior with poor quality. By the time the lawsuit era came around, some Japan made guitars were seen as superior to many made in the US. Same for Korea. Initial products were poor and now some are fairly collectable. It takes time to build a craft oriented workforce.

More than 20 years ago, I got to tour the Samick plant in Inchon Korea. At the time, Samick and Cort were building around 80% of the guitars produced globally. At the time of my tour, the low cost stuff like $100 Squire's had been moved to Indonesia. Over time, the workforce has developed as has their economy. The cheap lines have since been moved to China. These are slowly getting better. Even China is making more expensive guitars. The biggest challenge with China is their best price culture. Still they can produce premium products, look at the iPhone.

It is the progression of workers becoming crafts people. It doesn't happen overnight. Machines can only do so much of the work. It is the hand craft that makes real differences.

The tour I got was both acoustic and electric from raw materials to finish and set up. It was interesting to see all the work and all the different headstock brands. Inchon was making the premium instruments at that time. Lots of hand work by talented workers.

Who is the premier acoustic builder here in the US? Arguably much more difficult to build instruments. Martin is having more than its share of quality issues with its US produced guitars. Collings in Texas perhaps? High quality but not volume.

Last edited:
I look at it th some Japan made guitars were seen as superior to many made in the US. Same for Korea. Initial products were poor and now some are fairly collectable. It takes time to build a craft oriented workforce.
The point of conjecture being the wide range of build quality out of Indonesia. Never know what youre getting till its gone out the door. I like PRS's Indonesia guitars the SE's I think.

challenge with China is their best price culture. Still they can produce premium products, look at the iPhone.
Right.
It is the progression of workers becoming crafts people. It doesn't happen overnight.
You got to feed it right. Let em grow.
The tour I got was both acoustic and electric from raw materials to finish and set up. It was interesting to see all the work and all the different headstock brands. Inchon was making the premium instruments at that time. Lots of hand work by talented workers.

Who is the premier acoustic builder here in the US? Arguably much more difficult to build instruments. Martin is having more than its share of quality issues with its US produced guitars. Collings in Texas perhaps? High quality but not volume.
Shame, i like Martins entry level acoustics.

I was never int0 the cheap guitars/instruments.

Santana SE and Tremonti SE together for $800. Is that a good deal?

From Korea, not Indonesia? Does that mean anything?

Last edited:
Back