Narrowed down the mics- now help me buy one!

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

studiogenocide

I've read numerous posts and have researched the reviews on numerous websites- now I want some personal opinions of anyone who has personally used these particular microphones.

First, I have one condenser mic- a Rode NT2. I want another condenser mic to add to the list. I have narrowed it down to the Shure KSM32, Audio Technica AT4040 / Neumann TLM 102 / Blue Baby Bottle. All these mics have received rave reviews, and now I'm like a kid at the candy store. I want them all and can afford only one.

If anyone has another suggestion, please feel free to pitch it here. After months of research however, I came up with this list.

The NT2 is a nice mic. I want something with a little more warmth so I can start doing some stereo acoustic guitars.

I think the BB is too specialized, it's rather dark. The 4040 and 32 are nice, is the 4040 different enough? How about the 4047 instead?

No experience with the Neumann . . .

From your list, I would say the TLM 102.

I was also going to suggest you audition the Gefell M903, but that is more like the TLM 103 in price.

Thanks for the replies guys- I know it all boils down to personal preference. I wish I had a bigger budget- I would try them all and send back what I didn't want... I think I'm gonna try the Baby bottle and AT4040 simultaneously. I'm thinking the baby may give me that warmth and different characteristic I want. but again, without trying, I just don't know. I'm almost afraid the AT4040 will closely resemble the NT2... As far as the neumann is concerned, I heard its great on gtr, and although I would love to have that coveted name in my setup, I need some versatility. I'll let you guys know what I decide later- maybe with some uncolored sound samples.

The AT 4040 is the only one I'm familiar with in your list. I have one. I love it.
Good luck, and share whatever you learn with us, if'n ya' don't mind.

After checking some prices, I decided to go with the AT4050. As soon as I get some samples of gtr, I'll post on here. So far, the samples I heard on the AT website sound amazing. I love the warmth, and it has the edge over the 4040 which justifies the $250 price difference (in my book). I just wish these toys of ours weren't so damned expensive!

After checking some prices, I decided to go with the AT4050. As soon as I get some samples of gtr, I'll post on here. So far, the samples I heard on the AT website sound amazing. I love the warmth, and it has the edge over the 4040 which justifies the $250 price difference (in my book). I just wish these toys of ours weren't so damned expensive!

Exultant choice which 4050 model?

Is there a base model? :) That would be the one, the multipattern condensor. Whoever recommended me get the URUSHI is out of their minds ;). I would go Neumann if I had $2K to drop on a mic.

For me though, seriously, I have to justify the cost of a microphone- as in "when will I get my money back?"

I can easily recover $600 over the course of 4 - 6 months, so that's justification enough for me. 2 years? Mmmmmm..... That's quite a stretch.

I love this stuff- i could talk about it all day.

My next big thing will be a better preamp. I have the RNP now.

Thanks again guys- you helped me not only stay on course, but also changed my mind on which model!

Ah yeah ..... that was me :D ..... then you musta got the LE model.

New micpre huh? check out the chameleon lab micpre. I like it - I also like the Joe Meek TwinQ.

Great choice!! You won't be disappointed. The safe sound p1 is the best bang for the buck imo on a pre. Great clean pre and a wonderful transparent compressor section.

Ah yeah ..... that was me :D ..... then you musta got the LE model.

New micpre huh? check out the chameleon lab micpre. I like it - I also like the Joe Meek TwinQ.

Well technically they are channel strips = a preamp with all the bells and whistles. ;)

PreAmp Suggestion

Get the Focusrite ISA One.
Hands down, best choice for the money ($499).
It is also more than just a preamp. Tons of other features too. Adjustable Impedance. DI Input. Dual output (Mic and DI). Insert. BIG VU METER that really works too!
READ THIS!!! : ISA One | Focusrite
Bob G.
For a Good Low-Cost TUBE PREAMP find a used ART GOLD MPA and put some low-noise 7025 tubes in it.
(Build Plans for Desk and Rack available on my website ;) )
50DollarHSGdeskR (640x480).jpg

12-SpaceRackB (410x640).jpg

Also!
If your RODE NT2 is the ORIGINAL NT2 and not the NT2A, I believe RODE will refurbish your mic and add their newer HF-1 capsule, for a fee, of course.
You'll need to touch base with them to be sure, though.
The RODE NT2 was my very first, new, LDC Mic. Wish I still had it. Came with Aluminum Case back then....

Back