Nancy Stabs Sid, He Still Loves Her---First Song Cut With My New Console

jjinvegas

I was offered a Soundtracs console from Jolly Olde England in trade for recording time. I finally got it installed and needed to cut something to see how everything was behaving. I forgot how much better professional gear sounds than pro-sumer mic preamps on your typical interface. This song is sort of tongue-in-cheek, although it could be construed in a more conventional fashion as someone dealing with a troubled affair. Anyway, I enjoyed cutting it and look forward to using my new setup with clients old and new.....

Attachments

• I'm Bleeding (But Still Somehow)-002_Source_Master.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
The vocals and the acoustic guitars are super-close, and some of the sibilants are pretty harsh.

I feel like it takes everyone a bit to find the groove timing-wise. It starts to coalesce when that happens.

I'm hearing some pitchiness and bobbled notes in the vocal. Most of it is pretty good. But a note here and there is off. Vocal tone is nice. I'm hearing a distorted note or two - like from :44 - :47 and at 1:29. There were more spots. The vocal is much dryer than the other parts.

The acoustic guitars play well off each other. They sound direct. I'd prefer a mic'd sound.

I think you could get away with a stronger low end. You could raise the level of both the kick and bass.

Hey man,
I enjoyed listening. Lots of great sounding components but I feel like the whole thing didn't really gel.
It's like you've got the opposite problem I have. I struggle to get things to stop mashing together, whereas all your parts seem to be completely separate and very clearly audible.

The acoustic seemed to jump out and strike me too much at the start. Same with the lead later on.

Are the drums pretty heavily compressed? They don't have a proportionate impact. Like, when they're hitting their peaks, the acoustic guitar is still plinking away over the top.

I do really like the vocal sound. Very smooth and natural.

Could benefit from more low end overall, I think.

This is pretty nice. I hear some of the early timing issues other referred to - mostly drums I think. Vocals are good. And nice song.

This is pretty good quality for most of what I hear on this board. Biggest nit is probably the drums. Maybe over-compressed. They don't seem to have much dynamics. Vocal sits nice in the mix, and I like the dryness. Good work!

That was pretty cool. Was that mixed on your console but recorded in a daw?
I'm asking just because I heard some glitches. Like some stuff was pasted together.
Cant comment too much on the mix, just listened on earbuds, but everything was clear and balances were cool.

With some more work this could be a great tune. Not a single, but an album tune.
Btw, I love when people are working out of the box. Your thread title drew me in for a listen.
:D

Back