Naming that tune

terocious

Tunes title tells all...Sometimes

I opened up one of my wifes old british english books and found the line "I will take up my muff and walk on" used as an example. I liked the line a lot and used it for the starting point of a song:

I will take up my muff and walk on
I will stake my existence on this thing you call a lawn...

I recorded it and posted it on my website. I went with the first line for the name and of the forty or so songs I have put on the web this one has been downloaded by far the most. I can only assume it is because of the word "muff" in the title. (Jokes On Them:D )

I was wondering what kind of thought process is behind the naming of your tunes?

Most of the time I come up with song titles the same way I write lyrics. If I have a song with no lyrics yet, then I think of something that goes with the vibe of the music I wrote. In those instances where I have lyrics, I will try to find a few choice words that sum up the song.

Other times I will name a song based on a word or phrase that I like. "Crutch" is a great word.. it sounds cool and has multiple meaning, so I used the title when submitting material for copyrights.

Cy

i have to say, that i avoid naming a song by a line appearing in it (or even worse, the chorus) - i dont know why that is, tho.. hehe

i write alot of "hidden message" songs, it happened that i used titles, that u just needed to know, if wanted to be able to guess what the song could be about ;)

overall, i take my time on naming a song, and try to keep the titles short, but original (kinda swear by "less is more").. i dont want too "complicated" titles; after all ppl should be able to remember the title by thinking of the song :)

yea i KNOW i'm kind of paranoid here! :D

A title will make me wanna hear a song.

Crutch is a good title. One word titles sort of get into peoples different associations with that word.

I do the "private joke" titles too as well as put those kinds of things in songs. Is it paranoia or a way of keeping something that is going public just a little bit private?

(or did I just misunderstand you ron82? Someone told me people misunderstand each other 60 percent of the time and I believe it.)

I am noticing a distinct change in the way I name songs since I started naming computer files. Less words and more descriptive. Sometimes words will be joined. I do like a long title though even though I know no one will remember it. (Maybe because.)

-b

terocious
I do the "private joke" titles too as well as put those kinds of things in songs. Is it paranoia or a way of keeping something that is going public just a little bit private?

(or did I just misunderstand you ron82? Someone told me people misunderstand each other 60 percent of the time and I believe it.)
hehe!

oh well, its not TOO hard to end up with misunderstandings with me, as i tend to use more english skills than i have.. lol. yea, paranoia was probably not the right word ;)
how about, "eccentric"? :D

Instrumentals are the funnest to name, because you're not tied to lyrics for a title. I usually watch for some clever or glib phrase that sort of fits the mood of the song. Two of my instrumental songs that spring to mind are: "Wink 'em Slyly" and "Who's Attle?"
The first was taken from a game of the same name that was popular with children back in the 1800's. I came across it while reading a book and liked the way it sounded.
The latter I got from my daughter when she was about 4 years old. It was her funny response to me telling her we were going to Seattle.
Songs with lyrics are often more rudimentary and based of the catch line of the song. Usually I try to shift the phrase a little and make it open-ended to pic the listener's curiosity. Something that almost seems unresolved so that they are moved to listen to the song to hear what the title means. Examples: "Something in the Way She", "Bad Luck... Good Story", "If You Say".

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I only write instrumental pieces. Sometimes I name them for what I was thinking about or doing at the time. For other songs, I leave them unnammed until something comes along that fits. I often find myself making adjustments to names as well. A couple of years ago I was waiting for a friend to come over on a Summer evening. We were going to have some drinks in the backyard... so as my friend was late, I wrote a song while waiting. I was thinking of "In the garden" as a title. Another friend heard it the song and I told her the title. She said... oh, kinda like a blue garden... which I instantly liked better than "In the garden."

I like naming songs... it is much easier for me to find a name than to come up with music I like well enough to name!!!

Take Care

ron82 made me think of a song I named "The Bulleted Heady Redletter" Which is a play on all of The ballad of.... songs plus an almost indecipherable reference to Heady Lamarr and Hudie Ledbetter thrown in for fun. There is a scarlet letter in the song but as far as I know it is not bulleted. I started out asking about peoples general approaches to naming a song but the stories behind the names of specific songs are a hoot!:D

-b

Back