Name that songwriter.....

Do you agree with the quote?

• I agree.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I disagree.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
WATYF, I have to agree with you on the Coldplay thing too. When that 'Yellow' song of theirs came out I wasn't sure if they would have any other good stuff coming. The more I hear, the more I like them.

I don't really know what "boring artistic song" means. It's hard to write a really good song that has artistic integrity and it's also hard to write a really good pure pop song. And it's harder still to get someone to buy that really good pop song and market it and make it famous. But that last part has nothing to do with the songwriting.

Yeah,anybody could write a boring song, but would it be "artistic", which by definition means that the song would have an effect (intended) on the listener. That would make it not boring. Are you still with me , or is logic as boring to you as "art"
Last night I happened to hear a song on the radio by "the Cars"
It was boring trash, followed by All Thru The Night by C Lauper which was IMHO "artistic" I believe that the originator ofthe thread has posted a false dilemma.

Its all subjective. I personally find Britney's music boring as hell, but she seems to think it has a whole heap of artistic merit. You could say that some songs are repetitive, but whether they are actually 'boring' comes down to what you like as an individual. I do think its safe to say though, that Britney is talking out of her ass :D

this is pretty funny, ive been saying almost the same thing for years. the three easiest types of music to write are:
1. classical
2. avant garde
3. 3 chord rock

the hardest to write is good pop/the mathematical modern.

i found an article by lou reed a few yars ago in some obscure magazine, and he pretty much agreed with me. i cant rememebr the name of the zine.

I guess I would agree with the quote to a point. Yes writing "pop" music can be difficult because you are writing to sell and you are writing for others.

"Artistic" stuff can come more naturally and be more personal which is why I would say it would be easier.

But hey, I suck at any lyric writing. That is why I do mostly instrumentals now. :cool:

WATYF said:
And we have a wiener... I mean winner. :p

Bratney Smears it is.

:p

The quote I read didn't have "sh#t" in it, nor did it imply paraphrasing... maybe she's made this claim on a number of different occasions. :p

Either way, when I read it I almost laughed oat loud... What on earth does she know aboot "art" or "songwriting"... (or "music" for that matter :p)

I'd have to kind of agree and kind of disagree... It is hard to write a great pop song. But what really takes talent is writing an artistically substantial song while at the same time making it something that people, other than your fellow art snobs, can enjoy. :p

WATYF

I agree with exactly what you said.

It's funny, BS;) "teaching" people about music :rolleyes:

art/pop

If Britney Spears is a songwriter, I'm a Vermicious K'nid!

It's very telling that she finds art (or artistic songs) boring. It might be a bad sign for our society that someone this shallow is so celebrated. It's certainly a bad sign for any of us songwriters who are interested in anything beyond fake boobs & expensive looking videos.

It's not hard to write a good pop song at all. It's very easy if you have any experience. It's very difficult to get a good pop song on the radio, however, because payola is common, there are only 3 major labels who all bank on the one hit wonder & refuse to develop talent, & radio playlists come from one of two bean counter offices, the one in New York & the one in L.A. It took all of these forces shoving "Oops I Did it Again" down the throats of the masses to make it a hit. It might just as easily been relegated to bargain bin oblivion.

So even if you do write a great could be hit song about a boy-girl relationship with a catchy verse, familliar lyrics, a huge chourus & a good beat that the kids can dance to, good luck getting anywhere with it.

end of rant
love on
small

Yes... this is definitely true. But not without exception. There are plenty of artists who come out of obscurity and have long-running, successful careers as the result of having great tunes and a growing fan-base that the major labels couldn't ignore.

Sure, they're gonna take some producer's talentless daughter, slap some autotune on her and shove her stuff down our throats (a la Avril Lavigne) but that doesn't mean there aren't also instances of good bands/solo artists putting out enough decent material that the public gives them due notice which, in turn, leads the labels to give them due notice.

WATYF

That's very true but 9 times out of 10 you're talking about "boring artistic" stuff. Hey, the White Stripes are in the top 40 this week. That illustrates your point pretty well I think.

& like you say, it's the exception rather than the rule. I don't want to sound like a cry baby, I don't mind digging around for good music, I just wish I could turn on the radio & not be grossed out.

love on
small

Back