name that hard drive !!

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
hey all..i recently bought a new maxtor 10 gig 7200 rpm hard drive.. where i bought it from says its 10 gig , 7200 rpm , and udma 66.. problem is , it came oem with no documentation..not even a friggin ide cable.. what im tryin to do is figure out that i indeed got the hard drive as advertised and that i didnt get scammed into a 5400 rpm plain ole dma drive..

now , ive heard that all hardware has some sort of code on it that will tell you exactly what it is .. what i want to know is where is that code on the drive , and where do i go to look it up ?

thanks all.

- eddie -

DigitalDon is correct. Just look the model number up & you'll be able to find the specs.
Most drives, including maxtor have a sticker on the top that identify the drive. If there is no identification, then you can get the model number from your BIOS (at bootup or from the Windows Device Manager).

I just popped in to say that *most* hard drives will not come with cables or any real documentation...even retail drives. Cables are provided typically by controller manufacturers (motherboards, cards, etc).

If you need one, you can usually go down to any local computer shop & they'll give you one for free (or cheap).

Slackmaster 2000

thanks for the info guys..i did what you said and got the info i needed..much appreciated..

ps..slack , if im here and your here , why the hell am i alone in the chatroom? :)

- eddie -

Back