Name that Gretsch.

Unsprung

A local store has a Gretsch guitar having only a mini humbucker at the bridge, with a volume and tone control. It says Syncromatic at the top of the headstock, with the Gretsch logo on the truss rod cover, pickguard and pickup cover. The body is a single cut slab (a la Tele/some Les Pauls), and the neck bolts on. I'd consider buying it, for $175.00, but it's purple (body and neck). When I'd mentioned this at the Surf Guitar 101 forums, a couple of weeks back, somebody had replied that it could be a Malcolm Young signature model, but the Malcolm Young Gretsch has a different pickup.

For as much as I've become addicted to the unique sound of a single pickup guitar, I truly don't know if I can get my mind past it being purple (look at a Taco Bell cup...the darker purple on that), even if it is only $175.00, and sounds damned fine, at that. When I was trying it out, earlier today, the thing can actually quack like a Strat, as well as twang like a Tele. I ended up buying a used Peavey JF2 EX, later on today at another store, so if the Gretsch is still there in another week or two, and I can get myself over the purple color, I may buy it...add a Bigsby B5 and a Tune-O-Matic style roller bridge and locking tuners, it could be a bitchin' lil' axe.

Before I forget...this Gretsch don't have a bridge, but (like my Epi LP Jr. 90) a wrap around, compensated stop bar...if that'll help somebody to ID this one.

Matt

Probably an Electromatic Jr. Jet. Not made in America, but out sourced.

Color isnt all that important in an axe. The important part is what color is the flame when you're servin it up on that platter......If it goes to bright red, then they'll all be sayin how the ugly purple plank sure does cook......

So I should convince myself that purple's not a bad color for a guitar, have a G.A.S. attack, and go buy it...especially for $175.00? I mean, the damned thing QUACKED, when I was test driving it...the only guitar I've ever heard "quack" has been a Stratocaster/Strat knock-off.

Matt

Last edited:
Back