Nail Trails - Metal/Rock

Daunt_

Here's a mix that I'm working on at the moment. Let me know what you think!

Nail Trails - Blow Your Head (Link removed - I will fix it when the final versions are up)

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling that the guitar player was an integral part of the mixing process??? ;)

The guitar sounds fizzy and buzzy on the top end. Not enough mids, too much low end and fizzly high end. Generally pretty much your typical below average metal-crap tone.

Too much guitar in the mix making this sound weak.

If you want heavy, push the faders to those drums up. Heavy is all about drums and bass being foreward in the mix... not the guitars.

Kick is too snappy with no real power to it. Snare is playing patty cake and is all crack and no thump. Needless to say, when the guitar stops playing during the rests and only the drums are tip-toeing along the song sounds really sissy.

At the beginning when the drummer is playing his toms you can BARELY hear them. What gives???

You should know something is wrong when the high hat and cymbals are more present in the mix than the kick and snare.

Vocals are recorded pretty much how they should be.

Is there any bass guitar in this? If so it is completely obscured by the guitar.

This is a textbook example of a decent recording being annihilated by the mixing cliche's of metal. With a more balanced mix focusing on ALL the elements of the song this will sound great. The way it sounds now is just... stupid.

Thank you all for your comments. I have made some adjustments and will give the first version to the band now. I removed the link but will bring it back when the final versions are up.

Cloneboy Studio, I get the feeling that you're not into metal at all? ;)

Rythem Guitars are a bit loud
overal the mix sounds verry basy (without a real bas) and trembly

This is almost for shure mixed by a guitarist
Mabe put a bit of mid on the guitar (1k-1.5k) and put the guit it a bit down.
Lose a bit of treble on the hat's and OH, and put the other drum's a bit up (kick snare toms)
put the basguitar a bit up (if there's any).

Remco

Daunt said:
Cloneboy Studio, I get the feeling that you're not into metal at all? ;)

No I think it is possibly the most childish, ridiculous and cheesy music on earth.

But metal is what got me into music in the 80's.

So I may not like it anymore, but I know how it should sound and what can happen when you make it sound TOO MUCH like it "should." It ceases to be heavy when you take it to the extremes of guitar-guitar-guitar at expense of all other things.

My knowledge of metal is actually pretty large... much to my embarassment. :)

You all have very good points there. I will take some distance and listen this with fresh ears. Maybe I'll mix it again, maybe not. After all, this is a demo and the band can't wait to get it out (as usual) :)

There really isn't any such thing as a demo anymore.

Today's tools are so good, and so cheap, that there is no longer an excuse to suck. Back in the days of ADAT or especially cassette portastudios there was plenty of excuse, but nowadays for under 2k you can buy what you need to get something decent recorded.

I mean *THIS* doesn't sound like a demo to me at all. It sounds like finished product.

My criticisms were for taking it to a great sounding recording. It sounds pretty decent the way it was in the first post... not perfect, but not a demo by a long stretch.

Cloneboy Studio said:
There really isn't any such thing as a demo anymore.

Today's tools are so good, and so cheap, that there is no longer an excuse to suck. Back in the days of ADAT or especially cassette portastudios there was plenty of excuse, but nowadays for under 2k you can buy what you need to get something decent recorded.

I mean *THIS* doesn't sound like a demo to me at all. It sounds like finished product.

My criticisms were for taking it to a great sounding recording. It sounds pretty decent the way it was in the first post... not perfect, but not a demo by a long stretch.

You are right but I still get paid for recording and mixing a demo. I make it as good as I can within the time I have. When I mixed my own band's demo, it took months. Here's the result: Dauntless - Blindfolded Solutions

Back