Naiant X-S

great news i think i'll try the x-t
is the info for them still up on johns site or can you send me the specs? please

The specs are still on Jon's site, but there's more info here. I'll post a link to the ebay page when I set it up tomorrow.

No, they're not interchangeable. You can choose the flat or tailored capsule. Here's the frequency plots

XT-response.gif

I recieved mine this afternoon and will test it tommorow
very prompt nice service thanks Panda

Dang ..... I'll have to order now from half way around the world!

The X-Ts are now available at Naiant X-T Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone | eBay. I have 4 flat response and 1 tailored. I just checked my records and I sold these mics at £37+p&p back in 2008, so these are a bargain (below cost price).

Will you ship to North America? I looked at your ebay page and it says "United Kingdom" but doesn't mention anywhere else. :(

Unfortunately I don't think it'd be worth sending back across the Atlantic. I bought them to bring them to UK and Europe. You can buy X-Os direct from Naiant for US $54 each. These are new versions, similar to the X-Ts I'm selling. Jon still sells the X-S for US$39 if you want that. Naiant - Microphones

I have to say we love the pair of X-S mics we have. Initially we got them with universal mounts to use with my wife's clarinet and alto sax live, which was wonderfully accurate w/o issues w/ bleed or feedback.
In the studio have used them for all sorts of things with really satisfying results, acoustic guitars, abg, viola, cello, upright bass to pickup the fingerboard slap, percussion, worked great on snare drum for a brush sound.

abg?

I love my x-s too. And now i have the x-t to play with. I have yet to experiment with it further.
Its great on percussion so far from my initial tests
theres 4 switches on it so i have lots of beta testing to do. Looking forward to trialing it with a banjo i must say.

A few times I've used the X-S to mic my wife's flute, just using a rubber band to hold the X-S flat against the head joint. For the purpose, it worked very well. I'm also looking forward to trying it on my son's cello once he feels more confident about being recorded. And, as I've previously mentioned, I've also used it hung over a guitar cab.

@bassbrad, how did you attach the X-S to the cello?

Paul

I tried the x-s on a stand a few feet from a guitar combo and couldnt get a sound i like.
How are you micing your cab Paul please. Just hung over the top up against the grill?

I tried the x-s on a stand a few feet from a guitar combo and couldnt get a sound i like.
How are you micing your cab Paul please. Just hung over the top up against the grill?

Yes, literally that. We just loop the cable through the carry handle on top of the combo, and drape the mic against the grill. The mic sits about midway between the centre and the rim of the speaker cone.

Note that this is in a live sound reinforcement scenario. The guitarist (not me btw) really likes the tone, but I guess YMMV!

Being an omni, the alignment of the mic relative to the source should theoretically be less critical than with a directional mic, but I guess there could be a little top end roll-off with the mic sitting, as it does, perpendicular to the cab. You also don't get the proximity build up.

With the X-S a few feet back from the cab, I am guessing that you may be picking up more room than you would using a directional mic?

Anyway, try it. When all is said and done, the ear is the final arbiter.

Paul

I just got the X-S mics a few days ago. Preliminary results are freakin awesome. Best steel string guitar sound I've ever had. This might be the best $120 I ever spent.

I ran the Naiants into a JoeMeek TwinQ and SPDIF into the digi 002. The sound is bright and detailed.

I tried the x-s on a cab and it gave quite satisfactory results too.
All good news guys. I'm telling you for the $ it's a worthwhile mic.

I'm gonna try Jons line to Hi z impedance matching device next as a re-amper.

Back