Naiant MSH-1K for Toms

nuemes

Be Here Now
Anyone have direct experience using the Naiant MSH-1K's on toms?

I like the idea of the high end rolloff plus the low end rolloff in the chart, certainly reasonably priced.

I'm using SM57's and 58's on toms now. They've been fine but I'd like to free them up for other duties without spending much money.

Music style is 70's rock & jazz.

(Jon if you catch this thread please feel free to jump in too).

Please remember, I'm only looking to hear from folks that have personally used the MSH-1K mics. http://naiant.com/msh1specification.html

MSH-1K Specifications:

Type: 6mm cardioid electret condenser microphone

Phantom Power: +18 to +48V
Current: 3mA minimum

Recommended Input Impedance: 600Ω minimum
Sensitivity, 1kHz @94dBSPL: -38dBV/Pa
Total Harmonic Distortion, 1kHz @94dBSPL: 0.2%
Maximum Level, 1kHz @ 1% THD: 126dBSPL
Frequency Response: 100Hz to 10kHz
Polar Response, 180°: -6dB @ 1kHz
Self-Noise: 28dBA
Weight: 1.3oz (36g)
Dimensions: 2 3/4" x 3/4"ø (70mm x 19mmø)

amra said:
They are omnis, so you would get a ton of bleed, I would think.
I have been wishing he would come out with some cardiods, so I could pick some up to try on drums.

The K's are cardioid. I've used them for toms. You need a preamp with a pad and/or inline pads, most likely. They sound fine, but not spectacular. I don't use much of the close tom mics in a mix, anyway. I'll try to find a sample.

They're also kind of cool on guitar amps, for a nasally, midrange sound.

Edit: This is the only recording I think I have with the MSH1K on rack toms. Not the best, but should give you some idea. http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7892

scrubs said:
The K's are cardioid. I've used them for toms. You need a preamp with a pad and/or inline pads, most likely.

Yeah, that's what I wondered about given that the MSH-1K's are phantom powered. The preamps I'm using for toms don't have pads. It seems strange buying inline pads for a mic when a dynamic would do the job without.

I wonder about isolation issues as well(?) I keep 2 rides right over the mid & low toms.

I saw your thread over at GS. Have you checked into the GLS ES-57? They are 57 copies that supposedly don't suck, but I have no direct experience.

scrubs said:
The K's are cardioid. I've used them for toms. You need a preamp with a pad and/or inline pads, most likely. They sound fine, but not spectacular. I don't use much of the close tom mics in a mix, anyway. I'll try to find a sample.

They're also kind of cool on guitar amps, for a nasally, midrange sound.

Edit: This is the only recording I think I have with the MSH1K on rack toms. Not the best, but should give you some idea. http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7892

yup, they're ok, best for the money but there are many other mics that sound better

scrubs said:
I saw your thread over at GS. Have you checked into the GLS ES-57? They are 57 copies that supposedly don't suck, but I have no direct experience.

i can vouch for the es-57 as a very good tom mic. at least for floor tom it sounded great.

I used the MSH 1-C for toms, which is also a cardioid pattern mic.

I was unimpressed. They could handle the SPLs, but I found the sound to be uninspiring and a bit flat. YMMV.

The clips that come with the Naint mics aren't up to the possibility of a stick strike. Period.

Sorry about that guys, I didn't realize there were MSH mics that were cardioid. I am going to edit my original post so as not to spread misinformation...

nuemes said:
Anyone have direct experience using the Naiant MSH-1K's on toms?

I like the idea of the high end rolloff plus the low end rolloff in the chart, certainly reasonably priced.

I'm using SM57's and 58's on toms now. They've been fine but I'd like to free them up for other duties without spending much money.

Music style is 70's rock & jazz.

(Jon if you catch this thread please feel free to jump in too).

I got em (msh1k), not usable for me, too much gain without the attenuators, which I just received yesterday, will retry and let ye know the results.

In addition to the list Big K gave, I have to throw my current favs in there to.
They are the EV m/dyn 408 / 468.
They have a more rounded full natural sound over the sound of a 57.

Back