Nagra Tape recorders

tapeboy

Hello
somebody here in France is offering me a pair of Nagras. A Nagra 1V and a Nagra E. He says he's open to offers. Any one have an idea of how much these babies are worth? Thanks.

tapeboy said:
Hello
somebody here in France is offering me a pair of Nagras. A Nagra 1V and a Nagra E. He says he's open to offers. Any one have an idea of how much these babies are worth? Thanks.
At ebay prices, somewhere about 1000 euro each, depending on the condition of the units.

tapeboy said:
so much? Are they really that good then?!!
Brand new they would generally cost somewhere between a car and a house. Lately the prices seem to have dropped a bit. I thought I just saw one go for £100, but that was just the power supply. The stereo units are rarer and will be more expensive, the mono ones are more common but less desirable if you application requires stereo.

I've just double-checked and while I'm sure I saw one this morning that went for £700, the only sold ones I can see right now went for about £200-£300. They seem to be older models, though. People really do go berserk when the SN models turn up, and there's a Nagra-T which is starting at £1000.
A lot of it does depend on the condition.

sounds wild! Tell me more about the SN ones. Are the ones I'm talking about Nagra IV and Nagra E in this category? I'm deeply interested now,

tapeboy said:
sounds wild! Tell me more about the SN ones. Are the ones I'm talking about Nagra IV and Nagra E in this category? I'm deeply interested now,

This is the SN, made famous by various spy movies. Most news channels show one of these rolling whenever they play some secretly-recorded conversation.
http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_nagra_sn.php

It records on 1/8" tape, which Quantegy make especially for it - type 480 IIRC. I don't know what happens if you use cassette tape instead. Its primary markets seem to be:
1. Film sound synchronisation (you can hide it in a plant-pot etc on set)
2. Covert audio recording / surveillance
3. Rich collectors who think they kick ass

The Nagra E and 4.2 are here:
http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_nagra_e.php
http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_nagra_4-2.php

..truth be told, I don't know what the difference between these two models is.

cool decks...

the nagra e is a two head 7 1/2 ips full track mono deck used by reporters...

the nagra 4.2 is a three head three speed full track mono deck with the ability to be connected to sync control for motion pictures...

not the stereo ones folks drool for, but as a very happy owner of a low hours uher 4000 report monitor, i can testify to the delight of a warm sounding portable open reel machine for live performances and field recording... and, while i adore my uher, i know the nagra is the tops...

i've never seen a bad nagra or heard one that had a bad replay response. when maintained constantly they are well worth the effort as the top end stretches way over 20 khz.

Back