Nagra III help? Motor doesnt spin on play/record, only when fast forwarding

gcphost

Hi all! I hope this is the right place for this. I inherited a Nagra III from my late father a few years ago. It's been sitting on the shelf looking pretty for quite some time and I decided to finally see if it works with some of my dads old reels.

I have it connected to the power supply and when I switch the lever to the play or record modes the motor will not spin. If I press the fast forward button the motor spins and I can hear the audio when in playback mode.

I assume this is related to the selector switch since everything seems to work but its just not spinning the motor. I'm a bit handy in the electronics department and would love to fix this!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Step 1, if you don’t have it already, get the service manual, and go through the transport checks and adjustments. You could also open it up and see if the capstan motor is getting power when in PLAY. There are separate motors for the spooling and capstan drive functions.

Thanks! I do see this bit in the manual:

"The motor starts after pressing accelerator button and comes up to speed, but does not start on its own. Fault in starter. Measure the voltage across the starting condenser."

Having a hard time finding a service manual, only instructions, but I'll keep poking around, this is a good start at least, just need to find the starting condenser to test :D

Back