Nady RSM-4 Problems

rio452001

I have a pair of RSM-4s that sounded fine, I was changing the transformer last week to Lundahl's, and they seem to have developed a slight buzzing with lounder sounds whether from a guitar amp, vox or drum hits.

Any idea what that might be?

Any thoughts on whether it might be a mechanical problem (i.e., the ribbon) or electrical (ie., the transformer connections)?

Your input would be appreciated...

just to make sure -- are you sure you're not clipping your preamp and/or converter?

My experience is that the Lundahls result in lower output than the stock chinese transformers (which would mean the switch would make clipping less likely instead of more), but it's still worth checking to see if you're clipping, if you haven't

I'm pretty sure they're not clipping

I'll try wrapping the transformer with a couple of turns of tape or gauze, there's still foam at the bottom of the mic itself

thanks guys

mshilarious--

I ended up stuffing more foam above and beside the transformer, and that seems to have done the trick-- the buzzing's gone-- thanks!

Rio

As an (unrelated) aside, I have a stock RSM-4 I picked up on a whim when they were on sale at Musiciansfriend.com for $60 or so, and I gotta say, it absolutely smokes as a close mic for lead guitar on my Rectoverb. It's not the most transparent of mics I've ever used, as it has a slightly rounded, smoothed out high end, and a bit of a midrange emphasis, but man does it accent the Recto sound nicely.

I'll post up a clip tonight, but it beats the pants off both the SM57 or Audix i5 I've been using for guitar cabs previously, at least given my amp (and let's be honest, Rectos are known for being VERY aggressive in the treble frequencies and not overly mid-heavy) and my taste in tone.

It's the only ribbon I've ever used so I don't know how much of it is the style of mic and how much is the mic itself, but for less than a SM57 it seems kind of a no brainer.

Back