Nady RSM-2 ribbon mic, same as T-bone RB500?

TheDaysDoNotEnd

Have heard that this new Nady ribbon mic is meant to be pretty impressive and have seen it selling at about £300 to £350,
but have also heard that it is sold as the T-bone RB500 in Europe with a different grill for just under £100,
does anyone know if this is right?

if so where can i get one of the beasts in the UK?

TheDaysDoNotEnd said:
Cheers, have you bought one yourself? how does it compare with other mics you have?

I havn't bought one, there is no reribboning service and steven sank is $120 plus postage so I won't be getting one until I have a good bit more cash to throw around. There are some sound samples here:

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=&postid=241725#post241725

Actually just realised Mig27 has taken down his samples :(

The RB500 looks like my Apex 210 with a different paint job.

This is the newest mic in my collection, so I haven't put it through its paces properly yet, but here's a few initial impressions:

This thing is heavy. Huge, and heavy. If you want to sit it on a cheap boom stand, it would be best to weld the stand to the floor if you're going to extend the boom.

The sound seems to be very coloured, and this mic delivers massive proximity effect.

The output is very low, as with most ribbon mics. My only preamps are from an Allen & Heath SRC console, and it's a bit short on gain for passing quiet signals through this thing. Still, with the gain cranked wide open it doesn't seem to add more noise than usual. I'd probably be much better off with a better preamp.

Compared to an SM57, the Apex has more of a clear sound with extended response. It's still a fairly dark mic, but it sounds "big" compared to the 57. It makes the 57 sound as though there's a wool blanket or something over the sound. While the high end response is still clear, it doesn't share the unforgiving detail and harshness of my MXL 2001 condenser at all. Very different sound.

I've got 2 of them, and they seem pretty close to each other for sound. They both worked fine out of the box. I'd think that an AEA R84 would be a big improvement over this microphone, but I've never heard one for comparison. Given the proper care to keep any wind away from the ribbon element, like sticking that bag over the mic when moving it around, I think it'll be useful. I'll know more about how I like it after I try to sit it in a mix, so it's still a learning effort for me.

sl

I have the Nady equivalent. The mic gives a nice sound, though I feel the need to add a slight EQ boost for my voice from the upper mids on up.

When I do that boost in a relatively exposed passage, I find that I have to put a bit of a notch at about 3.61kHz. I'm not sure if it's because I recorded in a different part of the room (e.g. too close to a wall) or if it's the mic. Probably the former, but if I keep seeing this, it might be worth noting for reference. I'm also not sure if that freququency range is really overemphasized or if I'm just used to mics with poor response in that range.

Back