NADY 1050 Tube Mic

planetorange

Does anyone know anything about those cheap looking Nady 1050 tube mics? I heard people saying that like 2 out of 5 are broken right when you get them. But i thought id see if anyone here likes theirs or has anything to say about it.

I have one and use it on acoustic guitar and vocals. My friend is an authorized dealer, so we were able to try out a few mics and compare them. The quality varied significantly. One of the best sounding ones had a microphonic tube. The one I selected was slightly darker. The first thing I did is swap out the cheap chinese tube with a NOS GE 5 Star 6072 tube (about 30 bucks). It's very quiet and reliable - it's smooth and warm and has a nice presence. I think it sounds better on my Martin than my GT33.

The Nady TCM-1050 is well represented on this lullaby I wrote for my daughter, "1000 Kisses". Please ignore the lousy singing!:

-Drums: Boss DR-660, except for the snare. The snare is a sample from an acoustic drum CD called 'Beta Monkey'. Sequenced in Cubase VST 5.0.

-Bass: '85 Fender Jazz Special through Art Tube MP and dbx 163x.

-Acoustic Guitar: Martin DC-1E mic'd w/ Nady TCM1050 tube mic through a Rane MS1b preamp and slight compression w/dbx 163x.

Electric Gtr rhythm: Ibanez Talman through a 1960 Gibson Explorer tweed amp mic'd w/SM57 and ART Tube MP w/NOS Tungsram 12AX7.

Lead Guitar: Gibson ES-135 direct through a Behringer V-Amp2. Effects added w/plugins.

All Vocals: Nady TCM1050 tube mic through a Rane MS1b, light compression with dbx 163x.

Gina 20 bit soundcard
Cubase VST 5.0
PowerMac 8600 w/G3 processor

1000 Kisses
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/jumeauxmusic.htm

DC-XPL said:
The first thing I did is swap out the cheap chinese tube with a NOS GE 5 Star 6072 tube (about 30 bucks).

...he's right about that...most of the cheaper Chinese tube mics will improve noticeably with an NOS tube upgrade...the stock tubes (usually Russian or Chinese) are very inconsistant and somewhat microphonic (noisey)...Mullard 12AT7/CV4024 can be had for about $15. on Ebay and the GE blackplate 5-star 6072 for about the same $30...well worth the investment!

I am aware of two versions of 1050. The first one had soldered tube and particularly bad transformer. I did not encounter that much of the difference swapping the tube (including 5-star GE). I blame it on bad parts (particularly electrolytic cap from anode to transformer) and low quality transformer itself.
The schematics of this microphone is more than strange, and the thing was designed around cheap off-shelf parts.

nady

I wish nady would look at all this bad feedback and people basically (by word of mouth) killing potential sales and react somehow. I guess some people would rather turn a buck than be respected. I would rather die than rip everybody off.

Marik said:
I am aware of two versions of 1050. The first one had soldered tube and particularly bad transformer. I did not encounter that much of the difference swapping the tube (including 5-star GE). I blame it on bad parts (particularly electrolytic cap from anode to transformer) and low quality transformer itself.
The schematics of this microphone is more than strange, and the thing was designed around cheap off-shelf parts.

So what of the second version? Just as bad?

PhilGood said:
So what of the second version? Just as bad?

No not THAT bad, but it is not spectacular. I believe, in this price range there are much better mics, including SS.

I wish nady would look at all this bad feedback and people basically (by word of mouth) killing potential sales and react somehow.

I don't think they really care. I heard reports that some people called their customer support, asking about capsules issues (they were warped). The customer representative answered simply: "Just don't buy it, then".
I don't think anybody in the company would pay attention if they switch to manufacturing patio chairs, or aftermarket tires.

Back