n-tracks with gadgetlab 824

mr.smith

does anyone out there use n-tracks with the gadgetlab 824?
If so, what kind of mixer do you use and how do you hook it up to monitor tracks. I was looking at a behringer mx2624 to record with to the computer (n-tracks) through the gadget labs card but it is not an inline mixer. Is there a way to record and monitor things without an inline mixer with the gadget card? thanks!

Hello Mr. Smith. Mr. Benoit here. I'll try to keep things formal. Let me straighten my tie. Okay. I use a Gadgetlabs 824 with Cakewalk, and it's similar to N-Track. The only way I can monitor, is to send the track being used, to a mixer or amp. You can only monitor from the output of the particular track in question. In otherwords, the signal goes straight through the breakout box. From the input of track one to the output of track one. So you would need at least an 8 track mixer to monitor eight tracks or channels. Hope this helps.

Hey bro,
i couldn't find a 2624 on b's sight, but the 2642 will work fine with ntrack. Since it claims to have direct outs, you can simply run 8 cables from teh DO's on your first 8 channels, and monitor either through the headphone jack (using y cables for multiple mixes) or use your aux sends to monitor if you have a headphone amplifier. and/or, obviously, run the output of your 824 into your mixer as well, and the output of the mixer to your nearfields. (yes, i know this adds gain stages, but it's only one option) then, when you are recording, you can monitor via your mixer, with zero latency, both your recorded tracks, and the ones you are currently recording. no need to use the crappy "you can only have it one way at a time" monitoring feature of the 824, since all will be done through your mixer, unless you start adding outboard pre's. then, well, if you've made it this far, you should be able to figure it out. i've made do for longer on less:)
sincerely
nathane

Back