n-track sentiments,complaints,etc

jwgeetar

stability and reliability.....?

although not as prolific as most here that use N-track, everytime i want to use it it freeze's up. since i use it sporadicly,maybe it's my fault. but i've had N-track for 4 years now.(as long as gidge :eek: )

when i have a song idea, i pickup my guitar and start playing and singing. so i rush to crank up N-track and start recording---, and ver 3 freeze's everytime.

after screwing with it for 10 minutes trying to choose the right playback device or whatever the problem, the idea is LOST!

i haven't given up on N-track yet cause i've paid for it twice. it looks ver 4 will require another payment. i liked the beta of ver 4, worked the first time i tried it.

STILL, i use Goldwave reliably to capture my song ideas and edit the rest of my music.....

am wondering if i should make the BIG jump to another brand? i'm almost afraid to do some heavy tracking on N-track....

anyway, somebody just shoot me.... :rolleyes:

That's a shame jw .... I'm clueless as to what may be causing your issues with n-Track.
I guess if it where me ... I'd have resorted to doing a full format and reinstall of the OS with special attention being paid to what other proggies got installed also. Granted, I have the fortune of having a few dedicated computers for DAW use only. If you have but only one computer, it can be a toss-up as to what type of functionality you need from a multi-purpose machine. Possibly a dual boot configuration would be beneficial for one that needs to have multi-functionality from one machine.

thanks crankz1, well like i said somebody needs to shoot me. i changed to the Nvidia ASIO drivers and have had N-track up for about 3 hours with no problems. doing a few test demo's (with the 3.3 ver)

the acid test will be tomorrow when i crank my pooter back up and i go to turn on N-track and it "delivers" at the git go!

it appears right now my setup likes:
1-ver 3.3 --> Nvidia ASIO drivers
2-ver 4.0 --> the Nvidia WMD drivers.

------------------------------------------------

yes i have another computer dedicated to audio only.(right now my girlfriend is hogging it) with a M-audio 24/96 Sound card.
------------------------------------------------------------------
but for now, the point is N-track should work consistently with my Asus board and work everytime. will let ya know what happens tomorrow... ;)

jw

Yeah, I would have ditched Ntrack a long time ago for stability & performance reasons... except that I just love the interface & functionality.

Also, who knows, maybe you find out the other stuff is just as bad once you've been using it for awhile.

But from what I can tell, Cubase SX is more stable and better performance ... still don't want to leave ntrack though.

My two recording computer have pure Intel chipsets. Zero stability problems.

Sounds like you have issues going on between your components and/or their drivers.
(Not uncommon with Windows machines....)

ok, looks like 3 days in a row i boot up and N-track 3.3 loves it's Nvidia ASIO drivers. thats great! now, if it would stay like this till ver 4 comes out! ;)

I'm pretty confident of n-track's stability, so much so that I use it regularily in conjunction with my delta 1010 and delta 66 to record a band or two, with no problems. As stated, most issues are with drivers for hardware. Everytime I update my delta drivers I discover another new quirk where performing certain sequences of fader pulling/knob pushing will cause it to crash, then I just stay away from doing those things. Currently it likes to crash on playback, in play mode, if I hit the pause button. Thankfully it never happens when I hit record :D ...

yup, have used it a coupla times a week, the last few weeks. using the beta ver 4 though. i have gone to the fasoft site and gotten the latest build's.

not recorded anything serious yet,but for too long. ;)

My only problem with N-track is alot of times the .sgw files seem to not work out to well sometimes. As any Windows machine needs from time to time, I have had to re-install my OS once or twice in the last couple years. Seems like N-track doesn't like old .sgw files sometimes. I have lost more than one song this way.
Other than that, I love this proggie. The interface is the most user friendly I have seen, and you can't beat the price.
ANY Windows based proggie can (and probably will) crash from time to time. I suggest backing up your work often.

n-tracks is stable, if you don't keep updates under control, i have 3.3 and it's only crashed when i have to driver updates, so i have all original drivers that came with my sound card, and it has not crashed. Since i dont use asio drivers could also be why mine never go's nuts.

I just upgraded from a Soundblaster livedrive to a Delta 1010. I have to say that I am not impressed with the asio drivers. Seems to crash alot with them. Beyond, what drivers do you use?

Toker,
You might want to ask around at the AudioMinds.com Forum also, cuz I know there are a few guys using 1010's and n-Track. Not sure which drivers they use, but someone is bound to have some help for you.
I can only speculate that something with the Delta ASIO drivers you are using doesn't want to play nicely with n-Track.
I use a MOTU 828mkII and MOTU's ASIO drivers with no problems at all. Possibly there is a version of the Delta drives that will work, be it an update or a previous version.

There are some issues with the latest Delta drivers. Several folks I have run into had to go back a version. The key thing with drivers is, if they ain't broke, don't mess with them. As for your crashing, I am not surprised ASIO fixed you. Folks love to blame N for crashing when it is usually drivers. Cubase only uses ASIO, so it won't allow you to select crapo MME, DirectSound, or WDM drivers that often come with built in sound cards etc.. N is compatible with Win95 forward and accomodates most all driver models, though those drivers can be crappy. But it allows folks to get in to recording at a much lower cost using built in sound cards. I can't stress it enough, you have to use the right drivers or N will crap out. Yu wouldn't get mad at your car for crapping out when you put kerosene in the tank. Don't get mad at N when you haven't done your home work on drivers. /soap box

Last edited:
Back