N Track has encountered a problem..

Hardcore

and needs to close. This is the message I get every time I try to do anything. I reinstalled it. Nothing. I noticed that there was a driver from Oak Technologies or something that came along with it that was screwed up, so I upgraded. Nothing. So I deleted that. Still nothing. If anyone can give me any assitance I would appreciate it. I'm starting to think I wasted my money.

Maybe its not so muchg a problem with n-track but more likely your hardware. Have you upgraded all of your drivers for the soundcard for starters?

I'm working on it. When I upgrade my soundcard driver it seems to help out, but then none of my other audio devices work. But 16 bit recording works for me so that's what I'm doing right now. I figure I'll get my project finished here quick with 16 then try to get the 24 bit working.

Good luck, hardcore. I know how frustrating it can be when a program becomes unstable.

In my experience, it's usually the foundation that the program rests on as opposed to the program itself. Is this, by chance, a new sound card? If so, did you uninstall the drivers for the old one or simply replace it? If it was me, I've focusing on getting the sound card rock solid before installing N.

I happen to know that N is quite stable at 24-bit with a Terratec card. But it took a couple attempts. One thing i've found helpful when an install doesn't go well is to:

- Uninstall N and the FaSoft plugins
- Delete (or move) the n-Track folder from Program Files
- Reboot
- Run RegClean, fix errors
- Reboot
- Install N
- Test N
- Install FaSoft plugs
- Test

Has worked for me a few times over the 5 yrs i've been using N.

tj

Also, in addition to what Teej suggested, I've also found that if you use the internet on your DAW PC, you increase your chances 100fold of picking up spyware/adware/crapware that causes all sorts of mysterious system instabilities throughout your system all the way down to n-track. What I've found recently is that the worst spyware and adwares installed on your PC aren't being picked up by ad-aware lately if you happen to use that. Here is a link for an really good online spyware removal tool that picks up the crap that Ad-aware misses for some reason. Give it a shot.

When you click the link, It prompts for an install of an applet that only runs the ad-removal program. I swear by this little proggie.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php

I sincerely hope this helps. I ran into all kinds of n-track instabilities recently and found that the root of the problems were spywares running stealth in the background and hogging all sorts of odd memory spaces that n-track and other apps frequently access.

Good thought, Fritz. I use SpyBot to eliminate malware. It's amazing how much is out there and how easy it is to get hit.

tj

Back