n e opinons on the First Act USB cable?

How much is it? Assuming first act quality, it likely won't be anything close to hi-fi but for getting down ideas and practicing, it could be worth it ... if it works..

It's about 40 bucks. I have seen several others for the same price, same idea and purpose. There ae a couple others like the Amplitube that offered the same type of cable but with an effects processor on it built in, which is more, like a 100 dollars, but for me, at a budget, all's i want to do is bounce tracks from my obsolete digital 8track recorder, the Roland VS240 that is , onto the computer laptop to mix and edit later. OR, I wanted to just hook it up and record via effects pedal and speaker emulator into said cable into laptop, rather than using what I am using now, just a 1.8 adapter from efffects pedal into the laptop, which is analog. Or later I ca record vocals into my laptop with the cable hooked up to a small recording mixer. what do you tink?

Well, USB is USB. Its digital information. That can't change.

Now the actual durability of the cable itself should be questioned.

Well, USB is USB. Its digital information. That can't change.

Now the actual durability of the cable itself should be questioned.

But, it has to have some converter in it to convert from an analog guitar signal to something digital that your computer to work with, which is probably junk. With that said, if your computer has a "line in" jack, stick with that until you're ready to get something that will actually be an improvement. Hell, if you just want to bounce tracks, and dont have a line-in, get one of those cheap Behringer usb converters.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=behringer+usb

But, it has to have some converter in it to convert from an analog guitar signal to something digital that your computer to work with, which is probably junk. With that said, if your computer has a "line in" jack, stick with that until you're ready to get something that will actually be an improvement. Hell, if you just want to bounce tracks, and dont have a line-in, get one of those cheap Behringer usb converters.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=behringer+usb

Hmmm, so u think the one from Target doesnt have a analog to digital in that cable? . Ok, I will check on the ones from MF heh. I didnt think they were that affordable

Hmmm, so u think the one from Target doesnt have a analog to digital in that cable?
No, I'm sure it does, and I bet it its bad- I'd be surprised if it was any better than your onboard sound in your laptop. Plus, if its made for a guitar so it probably wont do stereo track transfers from your boss recorder anyway. This will sound snotty, but as a general rule, if it comes from Target, it isn't "good" recording stuff.

Besides, that Behringer (still not "good" stuff), with the 2 rca ins' and outs is cheaper than the target thing.

Hmmm, so u think the one from Target doesnt have a analog to digital in that cable? . Ok, I will check on the ones from MF heh. I didnt think they were that affordable

It has to have an A/D converter. Or else they wouldn't put a usb on one end :). That's where the quality comes in .. how good is the a/d conversion. To seafroggys .. even with cables, there is more than just durability. There is quality of components used in the cables. The contacts and wiring. That's why some people fuss about "mogami" cables and others. They pass signal better than some others which will add some noise and lose some signal in transmission. You can bet that First Act, likely doesn't have the best components in any of these regards..

Wow, well, how about this. What Do you think , in a poor mans setup, I was thinking this way:

instrument> Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface> laptop

or

microphone> Behringer EURORACK UB1202 Mixer> Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface> laptop

Wow, well, how about this. What Do you think , in a poor mans setup, I was thinking this way:

instrument> Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface> laptop

or

microphone> Behringer EURORACK UB1202 Mixer> Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface> laptop

Do you have that mixer already? That'll get it done on a super cheap budget. :)
Though, you'd probably need to do something like this for your instruments...
guitar/bass ---> DI Box ---> Mixer preamp) ---> UCA222

If you have an instrument that puts out line leve like a keyboard or something then you could do what you said.

Hope that helps. ;)

Do you have that mixer already? That'll get it done on a super cheap budget. :)
Though, you'd probably need to do something like this for your instruments...
guitar/bass ---> DI Box ---> Mixer preamp) ---> UCA222

If you have an instrument that puts out line leve like a keyboard or something then you could do what you said.

Hope that helps. ;)

Woohoo!! *Homer Simpson style*

I dont have all that but I will, I just got excepted for a full time job!!! So now i can buy that.

It has to have an A/D converter. Or else they wouldn't put a usb on one end :). That's where the quality comes in .. how good is the a/d conversion. To seafroggys .. even with cables, there is more than just durability. There is quality of components used in the cables. The contacts and wiring. That's why some people fuss about "mogami" cables and others. They pass signal better than some others which will add some noise and lose some signal in transmission. You can bet that First Act, likely doesn't have the best components in any of these regards..

true, with analog information

this is digital information

if the 0's and 1's are messed up, the data is corrupted and you have...nothing

true, with analog information

this is digital information

if the 0's and 1's are messed up, the data is corrupted and you have...nothing

If you want to talk about digital.. I'm trying to say that the A/D will convey those 1's and 0's differently. The better it can translate that sound into 1's and 0's, the better it will sound once digital.

Maybe I just misinterpreted what you meant by durable.

Those boxes, IMO would be a much better investment. You're very limited with the first act cable. You can record maybe a guitar and not much else. With one of those interfaces, you'll have the nucleus of your studio. Preamps for microphones, DA converters for your monitors, maybe a headphone jack. This is definitely the next step up towards recording things; having an interface like these. I recommend doing that if you have any intentions of recording more than just a guitar..

If you want to talk about digital.. I'm trying to say that the A/D will convey those 1's and 0's differently. The better it can translate that sound into 1's and 0's, the better it will sound once digital.

Maybe I just misinterpreted what you meant by durable.

You have a good point with the A/D converter. That is obviously a big deal, and I didn't take that into account. However, the actual digital stream after the conversion is the same, no matter the quality of the cable. Its just cheaper digital cables aren't as resilient to external forces.

Out of those three, the Firebox is probably your best bet. It has 2 mic pres w/ phantom power AND an additional pair of line level ins on the back, so you can get 4 channels at a time in through that.

The Lambda I think is limited in sample rate. The Edirol looks like it only has one mic pre. :)

Out of those three, the Firebox is probably your best bet. It has 2 mic pres w/ phantom power AND an additional pair of line level ins on the back, so you can get 4 channels at a time in through that.

The Lambda I think is limited in sample rate. The Edirol looks like it only has one mic pre. :)

So what was explained earlier, throwing the First Act USB cable option out, using the Behringer USB plus a mixer will not be efficient enough for both either instrument or vocal?

Back