Mysteries...I can't seem to learn

Sporkmyband

Okay, I have a pretty good idea how to record instruments. I have a decent grasp on what mics to use when and where to point them.
I am mixing (and tracking and everything else) On Mackie 624s. I am using a Motu 896HD interface...I love it..yadda yadda
I am in a fairly large room. It is probably 18' by 20' something like that...maybe 25 feet by 20. I can't remember. It has bass traps in the corners behind my monitors. There is a rectangle of auralex over where I mix and behind the monitors. The windows are not directly behind each monitor, but they are covered in heavy fabric. The room has fairly large rugs covering most of the wooden floor. The room is fairly dead. When you clap your hands there isn't a noticable echo. I use reference cds all of the time. They sound good as expected. But my bass energy in my mixes is ALL WRONG!
I simply can't get it right. It makes me want to cry...I am an emotional mixer...lol. I am not caking on sub processors and exciters. When I listen to my mixes on the stereo in my girlfriends factory sound system in her Ford Explorer my stuff seems to be overdriving the speaker. It seems like there is possibly too much bass information...more than the speakers can handle. It distorts when I turn it up more quickly than professionally recorded cds. That is the only real difference. Tonally, it is similar, or at least there is not a half of a million dollar difference in mine and some of my favorite cds. What do you guys (the professionals like Chessrock for example) do to make it fit in a normal stereo. Should I mix the songs and then do a high pass cut at about 60 or 80. Would that do the trick? I know it is about creating an illusion that everything is loud. It seems that professional sounding cds almost have weak bass. If this is the case, why use things like subharmonics enhancers on basses and kicks. Do I have to have a sub, or is there a clean cut that would be good to do everytime?
Please let me know. This is in my MYSTERY series of questions I will be asking you guys about.

First, you need to monitor in a room, or area of a room, that's more flat.

Right now, It sounds like you're monitoring in the middle of bigass node. :D

Either move out of it, or use better bass trappage. After that, you might need to address your monitors; are they giving you adequate bass information that will translate on other systems? If not, then get some that will.

Your next stop should be in the studio building forum.

Bass in your mixes

So do you usually have to cut a hell-a out of the sub area? Or is my space just making it where I can't hear what is there. Wouldn't a way to fix that be to amplify the amount of bass I am hearing, so I will back off more quickly? Isn't there a certain amount of highpassing everyone does at least during mastering...does everyone have a sub. I like to think my room doesn't suck...
NODE?
Like sucking bass?...I have LENRDS

Rockwool or Owens Corning Fiberglass 703 is best for build your own bass traps. Jeez, I've read so many of Ethan Winers emails I should go to work for his company.

In my research the Mini Traps or Modular Acoustics bass traps are best for a ready to go format.

Last edited:
what I am hearing

Am I just not hearing the bass in my studio? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? Waah.....haaaa.....arrgghhhhhh.....
WOULD A SUB HELP ME...
Boost what lows I am hearing so that I know when enough is enough or when too much is too much?

Massive.. Do you cut the low when you are mastering significantly?

Sporkmyband said:
Am I just not hearing the bass in my studio? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? Waah.....haaaa.....arrgghhhhhh.....
WOULD A SUB HELP ME...
Boost what lows I am hearing so that I know when enough is enough or when too much is too much?

Massive.. Do you cut the low when you are mastering significantly?

The 624s are not going to provide booming bass. I would say a sub is in order or bigger speakers for a room that size. How high is the ceiling?

You could get a tone CD and chart your room to see what's going on.

too much bass on a song..

Is too much low bass often a culprit for making speakers crap out? Professional cds crap out on these speakers too, its just that you can turn them up to a more loud level before they do so. Is this a common problem you folks have?

Sporkmyband said:
So do you usually have to cut a hell-a out of the sub area? Or is my space just making it where I can't hear what is there. Wouldn't a way to fix that be to amplify the amount of bass I am hearing, so I will back off more quickly? Isn't there a certain amount of highpassing everyone does at least during mastering...does everyone have a sub. I like to think my room doesn't suck...
NODE?

Have you ever had one of your mixes sent to one of these guys and maybe even critiqued and maybe a "mini-master" ~limiter,multiband compressor?

One thread had a pre and post master HR tune and it was a BIG difference.

yea, been having bass farts meself... just for a test, i was doing a super simple, acoustic, vocal, bass, filler tune...and yeah my bass is causing
pffffpfffffpfpfffart ASS if too quiet and muffles the fhkng vox if too loud.

my wife has her plastic boombox, its so crappy fhkng everything sounds like
sht... even Mutt and Shaina Twain, or fhkng NickelCreek...Slipknot vocals
sound the same..heeheee

COOLCAT said:
my wife has her plastic boombox, its so crappy fhkng everything sounds like sht... even Mutt and Shaina Twain, or fhkng NickelCreek...Slipknot vocals sound the same..heeheee

This is a great post.

You could very well have so much bass cancellation that bass TRAPS will increase what you can actually hear.

Put something on with some thump and move around the room... Even a steady 60Hz tone - It's not a fix, but it might let you know if you have buildup & null points in the same room.

Sporkmyband said:
I like to think my room doesn't suck...
NODE?

It's easier for you to understand if you hear them first. . .

Start a playback of a mix that you think sounds good. Now go wander around the room, and listen carefully to what's happening to the low end of the mix as you do so.

If the room hasn't had any treatment, you'll find spots in the room where you don't hear *any* bass at all, and where the bass seems overwhelmingly loud. What you're hearing are some of the "nodes" of the room.

What's a node? It's a place in the room where the reflections of sound off the walls, floor, and ceiling meet and cancel out or boost certain frequencies. (This is a very simple explanation, and leaves out a whole bunch of math and technical stuff)

Back