my vocal both plans....any input?

turnerkj

I have an old shower stall in my recording room. My plans are to put blankets on the wall s and then put card board egg crates randomly around. (i have access to limitless cardboard egg crates). Then mount my codensor in there. Any input on this approach.....or materials to insulate with?

Apparently egg crates and blankets are bad ideas.....so should i leave the shower as is (I'm using it to isolate the vocals from the drums) or should i not use the shower at all?

I think you'll never achieve the kind of isolation you want with a drum kit in the same room, but you do stand to create the kind of reflections that'll make your vocal track sound bad on top of the existing problem.

How come you need to track drums and vocals at the same time?
If you're doing it to provide a guide for other musicians just delete the vox afterwards and re record in peace later.

Yes,i will be re recording the vocals separately after. But mainly am trying to find out.
1. Is the both a good idea for recording vocals
2. Is the egg crates inside booth a good idea
Thanks......

If your recording the vocals separately afterwards then isolation isn't a problem.

I don't think a small space or egg crates are going to help you at all.
Did you take a look at my links? If your room has unwanted ambience you could try what I use.

Ok I'll check out your links.....and the isolation i referred to is for the live feed to the drummers headphones while recording the drums.....so it sounds like i may just be best recording the vocal s in the open room and using the booth for the drum track recording....thanks for the input

Ok I'll check out your links.....and the isolation i referred to is for the live feed to the drummers headphones while recording the drums.....so it sounds like i may just be best recording the vocal s in the open room and using the booth for the drum track recording....thanks for the input
If it's to keep a scratch track out of the drum mics then sure, even using it as is.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I hadn't thought about it the way mixsit said. If your scared that your scratch vocal will be heard on the drum mics then sure, use whatever booth you have.
If you're re-recording the vocals afterwards then it wont matter.
I'd be inclined to do those in an open room with heavy absorbent panels if necessary.

So anyone reading this thread, the main lesson here is, egg crates belong in the kitchen, not is a sound booth. I picked this lesson up with pretty quick.

Unless your singer is screaming or your drummer is a wimp there should really be minimal vocal bleed in the drum mics. If its just a scratch track you can put the singer wherever state as posted above. There's really no reason to track vocals in a tiny space. I set up some blankets behind the singer in a medium room and it sounds pretty darn nice.

Back