My very first recording with Mixcraft 6 (Please be gentle on me)

55Dudester

Well, here I am with my first recording using Mixcraft 6. I have never done any recording before, so please, don't bash me too hard. :facepalm:
I'm new to this sort of thing and I have no experience in home recording, natta, zip, elzero, if fact, I'm not quite sure how I went about recording this. I just pressed a bunch of buttons in Mixcraft till it sounded good enough to keep the dog from howling.
I am very open to suggestions and constructive criticism.
Thanks for listening.
Ray

Attachments

• 3 Wooden Crosses.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm not able to upload my recording via this forum. How do I upload from SoundCloud ?
Thanks
Ray

Last edited:
Duly noted Bill, I did lower the reverb quite a bit, however, I never did like my voice too dry. I'll pull up the song again, and play with various effect settings again. Thanks for the listen.
Later
Ray

I like it. Sounds like a bit too much reverb for me but hey first recording =)

Definately man, I'm happy you got it all going. It sounded like you were pretty far away from the mic (that could have just been the reverb) but I find I get a little clearer sound when I turn the mic gain down a little and get closer to the mic. Usually I try and go between all the words/verses/chorus and chop out the empty space where there are pauses so you get rid of a little background sound. You can also at the bottom do a noise reduction but I've never been a fan of how mixcraft does it.

Tons of things to play with there though, just messing with the EQ can almost completely change the sound.

It sounds great to me. Is that you performing and what gear did you use? Sounds very smooth but maybe a bit distant.

Dont try to hide that great voice behind a long reverb. its nice smooth n lovely.
Beside it stands out from the backing track too much with that reverb on it. You certainly dont get the feeling that it was all made at the same time , which is what you want it to sound like.
Also if your reverb allows it cut some of the higher freqauncys off the reverb tail.
I'd go for a reverb with more early reflections and not much tail.
I know this wont make much sense to you maybe but heres a video that explains a bit of what im talking about.

Sonnox Oxford Reverb - On Vocals (Musikmesse - Fab) - YouTube

You've got a nice voice man and if this is your first recording i had better get my skates on and do some learning.

Hey, i used to use mixcraft years and years ago when i first got into music..and it shows any software can do te job if you know what i mean. I had headphones in and the first thing i could hear was the person moving around at the start of this song..so obviously editing wise perhaps you could cut this? I think otherwise the song sounded okay, very clear and nice in my opinion..but again am only listening through headphones now. The only thing is i noticed there was a kind of tubey sibliance behind the males vocals, what effects do you have on there? take a listen..

I agree with kip there, you do have a good voice I just don't think you're used to hearing it mic'd like that. It fits the style of music too, I look forward to hearing it in a couple months when you know all the tricks. Should be awesome.

Ok, way too much reverb or distance on the vocals...sounds like a cool voice behind it.

Good playing and performance.

I like the background vocals a lot, and the bass, and the lap guitar sound.

It's hard for me to hear the whole song with all that verb on the lead vocals...but everything else sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not a huge modern country fan, but this is an awesome song, and you did a great job...especially for a 1st recording!

Thank you very much for the feedback and kind words everyone. I have a ton of stuff to learn here so, in time, hopefully it'll get better. I will try to lower the reverb in future. I'll upload again the next time I record, and hopefully it'll be a bit better and dryer. Thanks again for taking the time.
Ray

Thank you very much for the feedback and kind words everyone. I have a ton of stuff to learn here so, in time, hopefully it'll get better. I will try to lower the reverb in future. I'll upload again the next time I record, and hopefully it'll be a bit better and dryer. Thanks again for taking the time.
Ray

That's what you gotta do...practice, listen, mix, listen, mix, listen, mix...

It's fun!

You are absolutely correct, and that's what I plan on doing, Mixcraft is a great software, and I look forward to trying and testing everything it has to offer......in time.....eventually.
Thanks again.
Ray

See mate you did good. Were all behind you.
Anytime you need help you just hollar.

FINALLY someone on this forum besides me who uses mixcraft!

Yeah ditto, maybe we could help each other out, although I don't have much to offer right now as far as help goes. But anything I do learn, I'll be happy to pass along if you need it. I just purchased the latest version of Mixcraft 6, and so far, I'm really loving it. What version do you have ? Take care.
Ray

Back