My very first recording.... Weeeeeeee!

j7b

A buddy of mine just went thru a divorce (he got the shaft) and is finally to the point where he is ready to start dating other women again. Since he's on the rebound, he's willing to take anything just to get his hands dirty and work the bugs out of his game. There's this woman in our circle of friends that has kind of a shady reputation (you know the type, very promiscuous) who found out about his divorce and immediately started showing interest in him.

Naturally, all us guys started razzing him about her. It was prett funny stuff; I won't go into to much detail just yet other than to say that the name of the song:

"Wild Bruskan Starfish"

Refers to the woman in question, and... well... one of her body parts.

Again, I'm a newbie, and I literally wrote and recorded this song in 2 days. So please try to keep that in mind and focus on the song in general rather than the rough edges.

Thanks!

***Might need to right click and choose "Save Target As" to download***

Welcome...

sorry j7... I just about created a thread titled "My very last recording.... eeeeeeeeW!" I gotta stay away from the cave... terminal "monty syndrome" :p

Ok... downloading... :D

Chad

Gtrs are pretty clean... well "gtr" that is. Live sounding vox. "Dicked over"... yup... speak sing.

The backing vocs (done by you?) remind me of Midnight Oil... beds are burning ... or somethin...

Pretty nice fingerpickin, if simple, there in the break. You may want to get a cleaner take there on the guit (I'm one to speak... usually put really sloppy acoustic tracks up)... not bad really...

You doubled the vocal in the chorus ... cool...

How did you record everything? What mics, specifically?

Chad

Sounds like a fun break yall had. Good recording. That vocal thing with the verb could work in earlier places in the song with a bit less verb on it, that is, if you decided to expand on the basic mix. Primary vocal line was sang good and had a natural sound to it, harmony was cool. Sounded kinda like the unwound E came was not from same pack of strings. Cool tune.

Welcome to the board. Your vox kind of reminded me of early John Cougar. You know a kind of Jack and Diane feel like the next minute i'd hear "Oh Yeah they say life goes on! Long after the thrill of livin is gone!"

Pretty weird vox you've got in the chorus, uhm not like the limp bizkit kind of starfish i hope.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys, all.

Chad, you really picked it apart well. Very much speak sing (I like that kind of style), and yeah, all the vocals were done by me (except for the "sock it to me" line, that was my wife).

I've been wanting to get a better guitar take. The current one is full of mistakes.

The chorus dubbing was kind of a mistake really. I figured I'd sing the song twice and pick the best take. After the second take, I played back the track and was surprised at how cool it sounded with both vocal tracks playing at the same time (I'm sure there's a name for that). The verses weren't in sync, but the 2 differnet sets of chorus voclas were remarkably in line. So I thought I'd leave that affect there for just the chorus.

I used a Marshall MXL 603s mic, a TASCAM us-122 (USB device), and a copy of Cubase that came with the TASCAM. I just got this stuff and that was my first try at it. Pretty fun stuff!

Bruskan? - The last name of the girl he's going after is "Brusk"

I'm not familiar with the Limp Bizkit starfish, but something tells me it's the same thing:0

Thanks again!

J7B

Back