My uneducated opinion of the Studio Projects B1

deadleafecho

I received my B1 today from humbuckermusic.com and of COURSE i had to test it out (lucky i was off work today!)

So my 1st test was to double mic my amp with a B1 and SM57. Les Paul studio through a Mesa mark3 to be exact, then to my 1202vlzpro , direct outs to my audiophile2496. 1st thing i noticed is i had to turn the trim ALL the way down,maybe a hair higher than 0db gain(far left is 0db, far right is +60db), to keep from clipping my sound card. Now granted, this probably isnt the intended use for this mic (despite their literature it can be used for "close micing") Heres where a -10db pad would come in very handy, BUT im poor and got the cheap model. Nevertheless, the sound from the B1 was respectable, not better than a 57, just different. I would never use a b1 as a stand alone speaker mic, but mixing the 2 signal together sounded great, added a real bigness to the sound once i inverted (was out of phase at 1st). All in all, a great way to add flavor, and im looking forward to trying it on a clean sound as well as acoustic guitar.

My other test was for vocals. Im not a great vocalist at all, but i was looking for sound not preformance =D . I was actually surprised how hot this mic ISNT. I turned the trim on my mixer well passed unity gain to around 11o clock. Despite this i didnt really pick up as much computer noise as i thought I would. Since i was doing this alone i had to bring the mic stand out of my closet *gasp* into the same room as my computer. Not ideal, but facing the label side of the mic away from my computer i was able to capture my vocal with little room noise. The end result was very pleasant. Very neutral, a little dark. As someone said in another thread, this mic is very much "just the facts". A nice step up from my sm57 and 58, which i swear I literally have to eat to get any decent vocal signal across.

Now my only complaint:The mic clip. WTF is up with this? I understand cutting costs and not including a shockmount (which i would buy if I COULD FIND IT ANYWHERE HINT HINT ALAN) but this mic has a very small thread and if its meant to attach to the same mic stand as my shure clips, you coulda fooled me. For now my mic is precariously sitting in my 58s clip (when in use, its back in the box otherwise) until i can find a shockmount....

All in all a great mic, was alot of fun trying it out , now i just have to develope some kind of talent to direct at the damn thing...
Next stop, RNP and RNC....

D

deadleafecho said:
...but this mic has a very small thread and if its meant to attach to the same mic stand as my shure clips, you coulda fooled me.
Not sure, but the problem may be this: The mic clip has a small "adapter" screwed into it. When you look into the end of it, you'll see it has a couple of slots on either side. You can use a coin to unscrew it out of the clip. With the "adapter" removed, the clip should fit any stand.

Ah bless you sir! i am truly an idiot heh. Though that sort of detail would be something that should be in manual eh? Or is this some sort of industry wide standard im just unaware of? Anyway, waiting to find a shockmount just got much more bearable

D

Don't feel bad! We've all been there. When I got my Neumann KM184, I was so excited but a bit confused about the clip... A quick call to the dealer (Mercenary) fixed that...

Wish I could get a new mic or two, but me and the wifey are trying to buy a house. Enjoy your new mic!

deadleafecho said:
Ah bless you sir! i am truly an idiot heh. Though that sort of detail would be something that should be in manual eh? Or is this some sort of industry wide standard im just unaware of? Anyway, waiting to find a shockmount just got much more bearable

D

deadleafecho said:
Now my only complaint:The mic clip. WTF is up with this? I understand cutting costs and not including a shockmount (which i would buy if I COULD FIND IT ANYWHERE HINT HINT ALAN)

The mic clip also has a tension adjustment screw hidden under the round flat pieces on the sides of the hinge, which you might find helpful for mic positioning.

And one of the cooler things about the B1 IMHO is that you don't necessarily NEED a shock mount for it-- it has an internal one. GENTLY shake the mic and you can see the capsule move. (Shaking harder may damage the mic, and you'll get a massive, earth-shaking BONK through your monitors.) Not as good as an external mount, sure, but it works pretty well, and adds even more bang for the buck than the mic already had. If your pre has a low-cut filter, you could probably get away without an external mount for many applications. (And maybe the mic fits in one of the shock mounts for your other mics?)

I really dig my B1, can't ya tell? ;)

Re: Re: My uneducated opinion of the Studio Projects B1

esactun said:
. GENTLY shake the mic and you can see the capsule move. ..

I really dig my B1, can't ya tell? ;)

Heh did you read your manual! Its says no shakin so i aint tryin. Ya to be honest , with the gear i have now, i almost dont need a shockmount. Granted ive only done one test, but in that one i didnt seem to pickup any low end info, or annoying footsteps or any such thing.............Sure does look cool though ;)

D

Yeah, it's not the brightest suggestion I've made :)

But anyway, the internal mount has worked well for me so far. And the B1 can pick up really really low end info (which is why low-cut filters are often helpful), stuff that's sometimes hard to hear but sure shows up on the recorded track.

deadleafecho said:
Ah bless you sir! i am truly an idiot heh. Though that sort of detail would be something that should be in manual eh? Or is this some sort of industry wide standard im just unaware of? Anyway, waiting to find a shockmount just got much more bearableD
Glad I could help. Long ago I had a cheap Radio Shack boom with this adapter on it. First time I removed the mic clip, the adapter came off as well. Only problem was, the slotted end of the adapter was INSIDE the clip. And it was in there TIGHT too!:mad: Best I can remember, I never got it out.

I’ve never understood what these adapters are for. Why not just make the end of the boom like the end of the mic stand and be done with it. Guess that would be too easy.;)
Oh, well, end of rant…

Yes, the B series are great mics. I have a B3 which I love for acoustic guitar and some voices including my own. I’m thinking about getting a B1 to use live.
-Flatpicker

If you need to get one of those adapters out in a pinch, a dime works pretty well. If it's real tight, a dime and a pair of pliers. BTW, yeah I like this mic too. It's the cheapest effective all purpose condenser. By this I mean that there seems to be a workhorse class of mics that will work on a few vocalists, but which really shine on acoustic instruments- guit, woodwinds, strings, and cab light. At the next level, it's AKG C2000B and AT4033, then AKG C414B-ULS and B.L.U.E. Baby Bottle. If you're building a budget cabinet, the B-1 can fill that position for some time, until you upgrade. It's not my idea of a main vocal mic, but I might put it up if other stuff didn't work.-Richie

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by deadleafecho
...but this mic has a very small thread and if its meant to attach to the same mic stand as my shure clips, you coulda fooled me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This threw me for a while too when I first got my B1.

Well hats off to Alan. Around the time i posted my original message, he replied to my registration email (in which i mentioned i was confused by the clip) He told me there as well how to take care of it, and mentioned it was some sort of Euro adapter or some crap. Anyway, Kudos to Mr Hyatt for actually reading those registrations!

D

Tomcat- My idea of main vocal mic.- For cheap- MXL V67B, Oktava MK319 (I like the Marshall for its greater versatility) More- Studio Projects C-1, C-3. More-Rode NTK, B.L.U.E. Dragonfly. More- B.L.U.E. KIWI, Neumann U-87

muhahahaha

I got my B-1 coming in the mail.

I'll tell you guys how I like it once I get to fool around with it for a bit :D:D

Re: muhahahaha

wx3 said:
I got my B-1 coming in the mail.

I'll tell you guys how I like it once I get to fool around with it for a bit :D:D

Don't fool with it too much, you girl will get mad!!! :D

Good luck with the B1. You should get a ton of use out of it...

B-1 to be delivered today :-)

I hope it will do well for vocals and acoustic guitar.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Joe

Flatpicker said:
Glad I could help. Long ago I had a cheap Radio Shack boom with this adapter on it. First time I removed the mic clip, the adapter came off as well. Only problem was, the slotted end of the adapter was INSIDE the clip. And it was in there TIGHT too!:mad: Best I can remember, I never got it out.

Yeah I had that same radio shack stand, just glued the damn thing on.

Scott

Back